• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Palomar Ceramic Microphone

Mine came in a day early and it's a dud. The manual says it comes with a factory installed battery and ready to go but it has no audio. It keys the radio but no audio. I spread the pins on the radio just to make sure it's making a good connection but still no audio.

Put in a new battery and still no audio. I can't say I'm impressed with the battery holder or the red battery wire that was pre pinched at the factory. Notice the pins for the negative battery connection. Only one of them is actually touching the negative pad.

The lip guard is connected through the grille at 3 points. It may hold up but seems like it's asking to get ripped off. How about the pins with no jumpers installed? Is this how it's supposed to be or did a jumper clip get left off at the factory?

20161130_184638.jpg 20161130_184645.jpg 20161130_184703.jpg 20161130_185213.jpg

Reactions: RatsoW8
543_Dallas,
Sorry that you received a non-working mic! I'm not sure what happened to that mic since we have checked 100% of this first production here in the USA. I will send you a message so that we can get you a replacement mic under warranty right away.

Also, to answer your question about the header pins. On the 4pin wired mic there should not be any jumpers on the header pins. We will be coming out with a 6pin wired version with up/down buttons and the header pins will be used to rewire the mic for different 6pin radios without having to touch the mic plug (it is a pretty slick design). The 6pin wired version will also add the voltage regulator to the board so that you can power the SL41 from a radio with 12V at the mic jack.

Anyway, sorry again for the defective mic, but we will get it taken care of ASAP.

Eric

The way the grille sticks out is similar to the sra 198 but that's about it. I was going to return the mic through Amazon and say screw it but Eric stepped up and will be sending me a new one.

I'd rather him get the defective mic back to see what's wrong with it vs sending it back to the amazon seller. I'm hoping this thing is a keeper. I tried the sra 198 and it just didn't work well with my radio and voice.

im excited to see the six pin that has supply voltage from the radio. im trying to get away from using batteries.i LOVE this idea eric!! and up/down buttons too think ill hold off till the 6 pin comes out

Speaking of Palomar, somewhere out in my shop I still have an original Palomar VC-100A effects box. How rare are these?

The one I have has a nice talkback, an echo, Roger beeps and plays music. On top of that, it has a voice scrambler. Shame there was never too many of those on the road, the scrambler was kinda cool.

Old school, but built like a brick shit house for sure! Ran it on my Philly 148 back in the 90s.

Welcome aboard, Eric!! Great to see you bringing back the REAL Palomar!

Reactions: 222DBFL

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated