• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New President Lincoln 2 V3

snippits75

Nov 11, 2019
Just bought one from an authorized local dealer, and I like it very much.

This one has the clarifier menu settings that allows the clarifier to be set to receive and transmit(RT). Pretty sure the dealer said the default setting is RT which mine was.

Did not find a menu setting to switch from an electret or dynamic microphone. My Astatic 636L and Ranger SRA-158, both dynamic microphones, had weak modulation. Stock electret microphone had the needle swinging very good with good modulation, so that's what I am going to use for now. Dealer did tell me that an Astatic D104 hand mic works good on the Lincoln.

Channel up and down buttons on the face of the radio could be better placed for right handed people. I kept hitting the the Mic/RF gain knob that sits right beside of the channel up/down buttons. Pressing the buttons with my left hand works better because then my fingers are not hitting the Mic/RF gain knob.

Left side of the radio gets very warm...just like my President Ronald does. Good bit warmer than the heatsink on the back of the radio.

Factory power output specs are spot on according to my Daiwa 901 meter. RF power all the way down is 1.5 watts.

Much love to the factory default setting that shuts power to the radio with high SWR. Default setting SWR is 2.0, and it can be adjusted. Came in handy when I did not get a jumper just right!

I've had mine for quite a few years now and aside from a display issue it has been a great radio. I used a Road Devil D104 and it is very loud and clear without having to worry about road noise from my loud vehicle.

Leave the clarifier in receive only mode - if you need to transmit on another frequency just adjust it using the steps - no need to do it with the clarifier for TX.

If someone else is off frequency just adjust the receive only clarifier to hear them. You will always be on the frequency displayed for TX that way. If you need to move your transmit just adjust it using the knob and steps to 27.3490 etc.

I don't use the buttons to change channels, I just use the knob or the stock mic buttons are very handy.

Reactions: Slowmover
Did not know I could use the rotary push knob to change channels until now...still learning the radio.

I hear you guys about the unlocked clarifier. The dealer I bought this radio from is an old ham and long time radio technician/engineer, and he says unlocked is the way it should be.

Reactions: NZ8N and Slowmover
Opened clarifier is fine imo. Better to have it than not. Simply dial to the person you want to talk to and enjoy.
If both operators have a open clarifier even easier.
Never understood why people put so much faith in a radio without a tcxo staying perfectly on frequency. All CB's and 10 meter exports experience drift. To combat this most modern 10 meter exports come with the unlocked clarifier option from the factory.

I had the older President Lincoln II plus that didn't have the open clarifier option in the menu. I sold it and waited until I was sure I would get one that had it.
I now have a new one that has the option and I love it.
But I guess the debate will always continue. Some people like Coca-Cola and some people like Pepsi. Ect.

Opened clarifier is fine imo. Better to have it than not. Simply dial to the person you want to talk to and enjoy.
If both operators have a open clarifier even easier.
You hear someone who sounds off to you so you adjust your clarifier. But that also alters your TX frequency so you now sound off to them. So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them. So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.

Rinse and repeat until you both run out of adjustment or you lose the will to live. That is why it is beyond braindead to have a clarifier that adjusts anything other than receive only. When your clarifier only alters receive they transmit,you adjust your clarifier so they sound right to you, they adjust their clarifier so you sound right to them, nobody's TX frequency has altered so there's no more knob twiddling that needs doing so you both sound right to each other for the rest of the contact.

You hear someone who sounds off to you so you adjust your clarifier. But that also alters your TX frequency so you now sound off to them. So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them. So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.So they alter their clarifier so you sound right to them but that also alters their TX frequency so they now sound off to you again. So you adjust your clarifier so they sound right but that alters your TX frequency so you sound off to them.

Rinse and repeat until you both run out of adjustment or you lose the will to live. That is why it is beyond braindead to have a clarifier that adjusts anything other than receive only. When your clarifier only alters receive they transmit,you adjust your clarifier so they sound right to you, they adjust their clarifier so you sound right to them, nobody's TX frequency has altered so there's no more knob twiddling that needs doing so you both sound right to each other for the rest of the contact.

The Three Beer Radio

Reactions: puckett and S&W357
If the CB is aligned properly it is very simple too use. Most new export radios come with this option already built in. It is the radio operators choice to use or not.
All my radios have the opened clarifier option and I have never been told I'm quote on quote off frequency. It's totally operators choice.
I guess I prefer having all the options available to me. It's basically makes a standard CB radios clarifier act like a VFO on a HF radio. Now you can never compare a high dollar HF radio too a CB but people still use them on 27MHZ.

Reactions: NZ8N

I thought unlocked clarifiers adjusted tx and rx separately?

Reactions: bam
I thought unlocked clarifiers adjusted tx and rx separately?

Not when you only have one pot to use. How they work taken from another forum because I can't be arsed to type it all out....

For RX clarifier read RIT.

The way a RIT works is as follows in rx mode a voltage (only present in rx) is sent to the RIT (a three pin vr pot) to one of the end pins.
The other end pin is normally grounded via a resistor.
The center pin is the "feed" to the varicap diode.
So when the RIT is turned from left to right the voltage on the output pin varies .end result is the capacitance on the varicap varies and such "slides " the frequency.

When in tx a tx only voltage is sent to an "on board " vr three pin pot (norm labeled tx frequency adjust) and as before the output voltage is sent down the same line to the varicap diode (there will normally be two diodes one on each of the output before the varicap this is to stop the rx voltage and tx voltage feeding back to each other).

So what we need to do to "unlock the rit"
We need to be able to use the rit to "slide" in tx and rx.
For this to happen we would need a constant voltage going to the input pin of the rit. And such the result would be it would "slide" the frequency by the same amount in rx and tx. Easy ain't it?

So locked means that the TX voltage is fixed/locked so the transmit frequency is locked to the channel frequency displayed, unlocked means you can alter the voltage and therefore from that frequency by using a VR, aka the clarifier knob.

And whilst amateur gear has unlocked clarifiers by default they also have separate controls for TX and RX (XIT/RIT) so altering one doesn't affect the other and a genuine reason to be able to do so such as quickly being able to work split or account for doppler shift when working satellites. On a channelised service which CB radio is, where the whole idea of a clarifier is just to compensate the receiver for a slight mismatch in frequency between two people in a contact, it is just stupid and counterproductive to have an unlocked clarifier.

Last edited:
Reactions: r carl
Unlocked clarifiers are a necessity for a radio that tunes in steps of 10 kHz per click.

Not so necessary for a radio that you can set the transmit frequency in steps of 1/10 kHz. How many sideband operators get closer than that anyway? Tune in the other guy's signal using the 1/10 steps, and your transmit frequency will be that close or better.

In the old days of CB SSB you had to modify your clarifier for both transmit and receive as many stations were just a little bit off frequency, and the modified clarifier was a big help.

Now a days not so much so because many are running a Yasue, Icom, Kenwood, or even a Collins radios. But still half to use the "Adjust-O-Matic" modified Clarifier to tune someone in at times. My Motorola SSB CB Radio only has a + or - 1 Kc range from the center frequency but that's all I need.

We use to have modifications that would allow us to tune off the SSB Channel 16, 27.155 Mc LSB "center slot" to -5 or even -10 Kc below CH16 as there was 20 Kc between CB16 and CH15. But weren't frequency stable. You were considered not only a "Big Strap" but also a leading scientist if you could "slide down to -5, or -10, or even -15 Kc below the "center slot"

Jay in the Great (Hot 112F) Mojave Desert.... "Next Gas 150 Miles" "Warning to Desert Travelers, stay on the main roads and carry plenty of drinking water"

Reactions: NZ8N and Slowmover
Now you know why many CB's (not CB'ers) liked to use the "Single conversion" method for SSB.

In the old AM-only types - you used the PLL's T/R pin to toggle 455kHz to generate an IF signal using the main Xtal 10.240 and IF of 16 ~ 17 MHz to derive 10.690MHz IF then the 10.240 into the 455kHz on receive.

IN SSB modes - you don't need to use the PLL's T/R pin, but keep the same IF frequency to beat against the receivers mixer - PLL (Carrier Oscillator) - and obtain audio from that.

The more stages used for derived IF - like the 148's and Grants, even Galaxy's - made them popular for signal to noise performance. But a drifting mess once you unlocked and had to sort out the TX versus RX shifts the PLL does to this mix, for then the 455kHz shift was not always PLL - they used external caps in a tuned circuit to shift the carrier oscillator that 455kHz - making it vulnerable to the environments it was used in too..

But the mixing frequencies used; and the number of frequencies being mixed, made the conversion process more intricate and highly dependent on the EXACTING high-tolerance TX/RX differences in power draw (current to voltage drop) when Varactor is using the same power rails as Audio and Transmit side.

So the RIT like that used in HR2510 ( as a common example) and it's 7MHz initial (base) clock from the CPU made error detect and correction of the PLL a dedicated effort - it was a necessary feature to "trim" RX to match the TX - but you had no way of truly tracking where the TX placed your frequency because the RIT itself had it's own tolerance issues (an analog offset due to environment it's in)

Unlocked clarifiers are a necessity for a radio that tunes in steps of 10 kHz per click.
No they're not, it's a channelised service. The only purpose of a clarifier is to allow you to adjust your receiver to compensate for a slight difference in frequency between the transmitting station and your receiver due to the fact that there are quite wide tolerances due to the fact CBs don't use high accuracy TXCOs. It is not there to make up for the fact there's no VFO and to allow you to transmit at any frequency of your choosing between the 10kHz steps. If you want to do that then use a service that isn't channelised such as amateur radio HF bands.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated