• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New QRP Station

Riverman

Nov 12, 2013
Well, after a short hiatus because of a hobby change that didn't work out, I am once again making contacts. My new QRP station (your life might be too short for QRP but mine isn't. :p) consists of a Samlex SEC-1235 power supply, a Yaesu FT-891 transceiver and a Chameleon F Loop antenna.

I went with the Chameleon over the Alexloop (which I love) this time around because its larger knob and 6:1 ratio does make tuning easier.

In looking at the photo, keep in mind the actual signals are generated off the ends of the loop while its nulls are facing me and the window. This greatly reduces (or eliminates) any adverse effect of the aluminum miniblind on SWR. As is, I can tune to a flat or near flat SWR on any band except 40 meters where it is in the 1.5 range.

As far as the FT-891 goes, it is a great little radio. The DNR is a noise killer and the spectrum scope (no waterfall) works really well. I am using the default Mic Gain and Processor settings and getting great audio reports.

The Samlex produces an unflinching 13.85 volts and makes absolutely no sound. (Fan probably never comes on because I'm running at such low power.) I've never heard the fan in the radio either.

Needless to say, I'm very pleased.

If you are not an outside antenna guy for one reason or the other, a setup like this is hard to beat.

The real fun comes in telling your contact that you are running 10 watts into a magnetic loop. Indoors. :ROFLMAO:

Station.jpg

FT-891? That is a 100 watt radio I believe. So you just turn the power down to 10 watts instead of full power? I'm not sure about the Chameleon antenna you are using but a good properly made loop antenna can have surprisingly high efficiency despite being small. The bandwidth sucks however but that is actually a sign of higher efficiency. You simply cannot have both and be efficient. I have always wanted to play around with a home made loop but despite having the time this summer just never got around too it. Not in the right frame of mind I guess. I have some nice Jennings vacuum variable capacitors that would make a NICE loop antenna but just lack the ambition. Going back to work next week after eight months off due to issues before and after knee surgery and actually I'm starting to gain some ambition back to do things so maybe next summer I will experiment with a home made loop antenna.

FT-891? That is a 100 watt radio I believe. So you just turn the power down to 10 watts instead of full power? I'm not sure about the Chameleon antenna you are using but a good properly made loop antenna can have surprisingly high efficiency despite being small. The bandwidth sucks however but that is actually a sign of higher efficiency. You simply cannot have both and be efficient. I have always wanted to play around with a home made loop but despite having the time this summer just never got around too it. Not in the right frame of mind I guess. I have some nice Jennings vacuum variable capacitors that would make a NICE loop antenna but just lack the ambition. Going back to work next week after eight months off due to issues before and after knee surgery and actually I'm starting to gain some ambition back to do things so maybe next summer I will experiment with a home made loop antenna.

Yep. I dial it down.

You probably can make a nice one. This one is rated at 25 watts max SSB and 10 watts continuous. I only run 10 SSB because I’m sitting so close to it and want to keep what little hair I have left. :D

Also, if it does indeed take a fourfold increase in power to gain one S Unit, then I’m not gaining much going from 10 to 25. Maybe 1/2 S Unit.

I love mag loops. So dang convenient. And they are quiet broadbanded on receive. I park in the middle and can hear to both ends (phone section) of most bands without retuning. I do have to retune to transmit. But that only takes 10 or so seconds.

Thus far I have only one failed contact. Like Marconi says, “Usually if I can hear ‘em, I can talk to ‘em.” :p

Last edited:
Love it! I should make a mag loop and try it with my FT-817.

Cool.
I almost went with the 817 or 818. Those are great radios but I wanted the larger display and spectrum scope. Also, I don’t need the battery component as I’m not going to be taking mine hiking or camping. There are several videos on youtube of the 817 being used with a mag loop. (y)

Reactions: WECSOG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.