• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New QRP Station

The capacitor thing is why I haven't made one. Yet. I see some vacuum variables online with $3 worth of materials in them selling for my entire 401k.
Not happening. ...was born to long ago to be that stupid.

Reactions: Crawdad
I don’t know about using full power with a mag loop sitting just a couple or three feet away. Might lose more than hair over time. :eek::D
Two words. Remote tuning. (y)

I used to run 100 watts into a pair of phased 10m quarter waves inside my apartment when I was first married. It had nine foot ceilings so the antennas just fit nicely. I used to sit in the middle of them with one antenna on either side.

I used to run 100 watts into a pair of phased 10m quarter waves inside my apartment when I was first married. It had nine foot ceilings so the antennas just fit nicely. I used to sit in the middle of them with one antenna on either side.

:eek: And no eye twitches or tinnitus as a result?

Either way, a true radio enthusiast! :D(y)

Reactions: WECSOG
A buddy of mine used to run a TS-520 into an attic dipole on ten. I helped him install it.

Reactions: Riverman
A buddy of mine used to run a TS-520 into an attic dipole on ten. I helped him install it.

In that same apartment, which was upstairs in a huge old Victorian era home, we also had access to the attic. Up there I had a two element wire beam for 15m and managed to squeeze in a dipole for 20m from corner to corner with the ends bent down for the last couple feet. Even had a slinky stretched out as another RX antenna. Also had a two element 2m quad even mounted on a rotator on a metal plate that was screwed to the floor. Hey......you do what you can do when in a pinch.

In that same apartment, which was upstairs in a huge old Victorian era home, we also had access to the attic. Up there I had a two element wire beam for 15mandmanaged to squeeze in a dipole for 20m from corner to corner with the ends bent down for the last couple feet. Even had a slinky stretched out as another RX antenna. Also had a two element 2m quad even mounted on a rotator on a metal plate that was screwed to the floor. Hey......you do what you can do when in a pinch.

Sure you couldn’t squeeze one more into your bathroom? :whistle:
Then you wouldn’t need reading material. :p

That’s the unspoken secret center to discussions of wireless microphones.

No one has openly written about reverberation hang time, but there have been some new giant bath sheets given as spousal gifts.

Of course, with QRP, you guys are whispering anyway.

LOL It was a HUGE old Victorian era home converted into four apartments. The two units downstairs also had access to the basement and the two units upstairs had access to the attic. It was a three bedroom unit with a HUGE living room and master bedroom. One of the other bedrooms became my radio room and another a storage room. Some of those Victorian era homes were absolutely HUGE and this was one of them. We really lucked out when we were first married and lived there for two years until we built our own home where we still live.

Serious Hams.

Casual Hams.

QRP Operators.
You've got it backwards. There's a ham club that I know of that is famous for the standard rig used by most members on their weekly net: a homebrew, 100 mw "Pixie" 80M CW transceiver. You definitely have to be a serious ham to make that work.

Reminds me of some deer hunters I know. 7mm Remington Magnum, minimum. Some of them use a .338 Winchester Mag because they keep losing wounded deer. And yet, even with those cannons, if you are part of their hunting club you have to turn off your radio so they won't mess up your hunt by calling for help tracking their latest victim.
Meanwhile, other hunters I know could bag a deer cleanly with a .38 Special snubby.

Last 3 week I have been running 12 watts SSB, that's it, that's all. Been leaving my 50 watt amp at home. Signal reports are down some but I'm still making numerous contacts.
My last time out with the amp I had 24 contacts in 17 minutes with 9 from EU.

12 x 4 = 48. So the 50 watt amp should gain you about one S Unit. It appears that’s enough to make a pretty big difference in performance. (y)

Last edited:
Reactions: WECSOG

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.