• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ranger RCI-69VHP SSB coming soon

Eldorado828

8-2-8 in the Lonestar state
Feb 21, 2016
The Lonestar State
Here's one on the way from Ranger for the SSB guys. New? Kind of more like a revamp I think. Kind of curious to see the innards. What do you ladies and gentlemen think 20190416_130632.jpg 20190416_130649.jpg

Probably on the same main board as the 2950DX/2970DX, but with a band switch instead of a processor to control things.
12 band radio, all mode and a nonadjustable echo. Says 60 watts so it's probably a dual mosfet radio.
could be ok, but I really dislike that face plate. Just make it grey or black and quit screwing around with this off the wall stuff.
EDIT: Says 60 watts at the top, and then 80 watts further down. Then 70 watts on FM of all things.
Sure...Lets key down 70 watts on FM and blow it all to hell. Yikes...

Reactions: NZ8N
Faceplate design - this design has been around forever. It felt old even when I owned a RCI-6900 back in the day.

Chrome - I thought we were finally getting away from the shiny chrome but I guess I was wrong. I'm still not sure who wants a mirror for a radio.

Technology - If it uses the 2950 guts then great - but if it uses the older 6900 style boards they were drift monsters on SSB and why I quickly got rid of my 6900 back then.

Power - 60-70 watts is nice but with the mosfets I see more heat than I like in these new radios and also the output isn't consistent when they get hot.

Magnum purchased Ranger I believe - so I'm hoping we'll see some new stuff coming out in the future, I'm just so tired of seeing the same stuff.

Faceplate design - this design has been around forever. It felt old even when I owned a RCI-6900 back in the day.

Chrome - I thought we were finally getting away from the shiny chrome but I guess I was wrong. I'm still not sure who wants a mirror for a radio.

Technology - If it uses the 2950 guts then great - but if it uses the older 6900 style boards they were drift monsters on SSB and why I quickly got rid of my 6900 back then.

Power - 60-70 watts is nice but with the mosfets I see more heat than I like in these new radios and also the output isn't consistent when they get hot.

Magnum purchased Ranger I believe - so I'm hoping we'll see some new stuff coming out in the future, I'm just so tired of seeing the same stuff.
I couldn't agree more with your thoughts but I'm glad they're making these efforts again. Now as far as magnum buying Ranger that's a negative. The Palomar guys have only become the US supplier and support but do not own Ranger.

i guess no one has noticed the frequency range yet?

this is a radio that only amateur Extra license holders can use LOL.
LC

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.