• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Ranger RCI-69VHP SSB coming soon

Ranger can do better than keep churning out the same old radio.
Do something new.
Forget sticking 4 transistor amps and 8 mosfet's on the bottom and build something that is stable , works well on AM and SSB and is easy to mount in today's new vehicles.
Add a selectable AM and SSB filter.
Give us a better RX.
Something.
Look at what others are doing
Maxlog , President , Anytone , Stryker , pick the best features and build on that.
President adds CTCSS, offsets for FM, Maxlog and Magum TCXO.
Add a real speech processor/ compressor.

I guess if guys keep paying 600 bucks plus for these they are going to just keep building them.

Jeff

Ranger can do better than keep churning out the same old radio.
Do something new.
Forget sticking 4 transistor amps and 8 mosfet's on the bottom and build something that is stable , works well on AM and SSB and is easy to mount in today's new vehicles.
Add a selectable AM and SSB filter.
Give us a better RX.
Something.
Look at what others are doing
Maxlog , President , Anytone , Stryker , pick the best features and build on that.
President adds CTCSS, offsets for FM, Maxlog and Magum TCXO.
Add a real speech processor/ compressor.

I guess if guys keep paying 600 bucks plus for these they are going to just keep building them.

Jeff

I couldn't agree more, but alas, their business model works.

Their business model is to assemble a radio that barely holds together a month after its made, and requires the end user to get their hands inside it as soon as they get the radio.

add to that a chassis that is so packed full of 'features' that attempts to disassemble the radio for repair are likely to result in a radio that can't be put back together properly.

I swear that some of these radios i get to fix are like spring loaded parts dispensers LOL.

not to mention that they have taken the thin copper traces idea to its eventual maximum, and you'd better know what you are doing if you're going to unsolder components on them. you get one chance, and if you hold that tip on the board one second too long, that trace is going to lift.

im sure other techs have noticed that some of the tuning cans are WAY too sensitive and touchy, and can fall out of adjustment after a couple of speed bumps.

they know full well that these radios won't hold up, and they love it.
LC

Maybe I am looking at this the wrong way.
Lets get Yaesu to build the 857D with a couple of optional AM filters , a noise blanker that works properly , a speech processor / compressor that works well on AM mode.
Throw in a echo mic.
Just a few dollars more than the RCI.
Get r done.

Jeff

I will have to agree on the drifting issue they can do a whole lot better........I think that its made for the AM crowd.....Never have had one drifting issue with my 2950- love lower power

Reactions: undertaker
I hope it’s not too terrible. I just ordered one this afternoon. Would hate to think I’m going to have to take it to my tech before I’m even able to use it!

Well you just might. Maybe. If you plan to use the echo in it, just know ahead of time that there is NO adjustment to it. It’s fixed on the board with resistors, no controls, no adjustments. Get your tech to install some variable resistors onboard so you can at least open it and set it like you want. There is an on/off switch.

Make sure you move BOTH jumpers to convert this radio or you’ll be a tad bit disappointed.

Other than those few issues, it’s a Ranger.

I'm not interested in any radio with a band selector and a 40 channel knob.
If they are making a 10/12 meter radio, then make it the way the hams would want to use it. This thing doesn't look much better than my JCPENNEY 6247 40 CH SSB that I got in about 1980. Surely they can give me continuous band coverage with the 40 plus years of technology advances that have happened since 1980.

Well you just might. Maybe. If you plan to use the echo in it, just know ahead of time that there is NO adjustment to it. It’s fixed on the board with resistors, no controls, no adjustments. Get your tech to install some variable resistors onboard so you can at least open it and set it like you want. There is an on/off switch.

Make sure you move BOTH jumpers to convert this radio or you’ll be a tad bit disappointed.

Other than those few issues, it’s a Ranger.
Are you saying both jumpers simply need to be completely removed?

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.