• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Base New sirio gain master 5/8 improvements ?

fuzzr

Feb 16, 2012
North Florida
Waiting on my new antenna to arrive and been thinking of ways to strengthen it up. This is certainly one long whippy antenna. I can't use guy wires.
I do plan on using extra clamps at the joints but I wonder what else I could do. Height is gonna be limited, max 30'. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

The latest revision has a plastic sleeve that uses a couple of hose clamps to secure it over the lowest joint, so your plan of using extra clamps at the joints probably isn't a bad one.

The latest revision has a plastic sleeve that uses a couple of hose clamps to secure it over the lowest joint, so your plan of using extra clamps at the joints probably isn't a bad one.
I don't think mine comes with a plastic sleeve, but maybe I can make my own. Something to think about. Thanks for the idea. From what I have read they are prone to snapping off, so I guess that part is pretty crappy on their part. Once I actually see it Iam sure I can come up with something. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks, 121 Florida

I don't think mine comes with a plastic sleeve, but maybe I can make my own. Something to think about. Thanks for the idea. From what I have read they are prone to snapping off, so I guess that part is pretty crappy on their part. Once I actually see it Iam sure I can come up with something. Any ideas are welcome. Thanks, 121 Florida
There's a pic of it here: https://www.sirioantenne.it/en/products/hf/gain-master

Doesn't look too complicated, I'm sure you can figure out something.

Reactions: tecnicoloco
You need to keep it whippy. Its flexibility reduces the wind resistance, wind load and therefore stress on the base section in high winds. Stiffen it up and you're likely to see it bend/snap.

Reactions: BC Coyote
You need to keep it whippy. Its flexibility reduces the wind resistance, wind load and therefore stress on the base section in high winds. Stiffen it up and you're likely to see it bend/snap.
This reinforcing clamp only limits flexing at the antennas first coupling joint. The weakest link, where any flex would be undesirable and cause the top of the fiberglass tube to split.

It's not long enough to remove flex in the sections above or below the coupling joint. Had the new reinforcing section been longer, it certainly would cause the problem you note.

On another note, do not store this antenna assembled outside and horizontal during freezing temperatures. Rain water doesn't drain out, gathers in low spots, freezes and cracks the fiberglass...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.