• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Sirio Tornado 27

Man this is crazy. I just checked it with my Workman HP201S and it shows 1.7 on ch1 and 2.7 on ch40 but with the radio meter it shows 1.3 on both 1 and 40. Whats really weird is that on 11 meter band on ch1 and 40 the calibration on my Workman needs no adjustment when checking. Don't make any since from past experience.

Last edited:
just set it at the measurement posted and put it up,, something probly not right with your meter or your radio has some spurs that are throwing the readings off

know any one with an analyzer

Reactions: Galaxy 959
just set it at the measurement posted and put it up,, something probly not right with your meter or your radio has some spurs that are throwing the readings off

know any one with an analyzer
No not local I don't. I wish I did. Its set now at that measurement. I'll just put it up and see what happens. I put loctite on all the screws on assembly. Did you loctite the set screw on top section?

Yes use blue loctite on the top section screw as well as all other Allen head screws like the radials, the coil and any other Alena head screws you see. They will come loose after time being pushed and moved about by wind and weather. Use just a drop. And DONT USE the red loctite it's too much and you'll never get the Allen head screws back out. Ask me I know!! Sounds like you just need to get the antenna out in the open or up in the air.

Man this is crazy. I just checked it with my Workman HP201S and it shows 1.7 on ch1 and 2.7 on ch40 but with the radio meter it shows 1.3 on both 1 and 40. Whats really weird is that on 11 meter band on ch1 and 40 the calibration on my Workman needs no adjustment when checking. Don't make any since from past experience.

According to my Workman meter on 26.5150 its flat. But the radio shows 1.5 there.

Well, leaves me wondering what length is the patch cord between your radio
& the Workman meter.

According to the Workman the antenna is 7" too long.

That antenna if set properly, which for actual near center of the CB band is at about 1030mm or 40.55". This should tune the antenna for just about 27.205 or just above it. This is a reference only and an antenna analyzer would be needed to truly get the proper resonant freq. But for GP and a VSWR meter only, the set length above should be good. I know of a guy that just set one up and he was able to obtain a vswr of under 1.1:1 across all 40 channels of the CB band. If that is all you're worried about is VSWR, then just set the tip at the above suggest length and get it up up at least 20+ ft to the base of the antenna. It really doesn't perform like it should until you really get the base of the antenna up to about 30ft min. Higher is better. Highest I ever got with one was almost 28ft to yhe base of the antenna. This was from a previous height of 20ft to the base of antenna. Just the 7ft increase in height had a pretty good increase of rx and tx signals. Now if you were to get it at say 36ft to the base, I am sure I would have seen better results as well. And also keep the radials away from any obstructions near by. JMHO. Also having a well grounded mast and I also ran a ground directly to the base of the antenna itself on the tornado, it does help with how the antenna will work. Again, JMO. But it was my experience with the one I had up. Hope this helps and I also know of another guy that just installed one of these at I want to say 20ft or so, and he was able to obtain a less than 1.1:1 vswr across the entire CB band. It's just having the antenna in an open area helps. I could see the readings being skewed by the fact the antenna is where it is now. Like stated, set the top whip to the proper length, and go from there. Also double check the radials as fr as the proper length. The slide out portions need to all be 850mm or 33.46". Dont remeber the total length of top of my head. But you can't really mess up if you slide the entire piece out and remeber to keep it positioned to slide back in the same way and mark all 4 at once. Use a good square and level area and mark them. Or mark them one by one and then recheck all of them before you reinstall. Use NO-OX on all the set screws and joining sleeves, and also on all the joining parts. This is almost a must IMO. It will make the antenna last a lot longer. If you have a small tub of no-ox, I'd use a very very light coat on the entire antenna except on the SO239 connector. Also use some good weather proofing. I like this stuff. Works well and it won't stick to your connectors. It's self amalgamating tape. Try that one 3 times row LOL!! But it works great and can be used on the joining sleeves as well if wanted. I used heat shrink on all
my joining sleeves on my vector 4K and would have done it to the tornado had I really thought about it. Not actually needed, but it didn't hurt either as far as how the antenna works. Anyway just some things to think about. Like I said some not necessary, but the no-ox is a good idea as well as the wether proofing. Moisture and water are a mofo on the connector of that antenna. Anyways, again, hope you get it all resolved and have a good one.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    307.2 KB · Views: 5
  • image.png
    image.png
    244.2 KB · Views: 4
222, if you have a Tornado 27 and it is not mounted...could you give me the details for all the dimensions including the coil and insulator? I want to try and model this 5/8 wave including the physical matching coil.

What does the feed point show, open or short?

Well, leaves me wondering what length is the patch cord between your radio
& the Workman meter.

According to the Workman the antenna is 7" too long.

Ok NB. I put on my 3' cheap jumper and here is what I got with my Workman and Radio. Ch1 1.7 Ch 40 2.6 That Workman
Ch 1 1.4 Ch 40 1 flat thats with the Radio with meter and jumper still inline.

Ch 1 1.2 Ch 40 1.2 thats Radio with feed line hooked to radio with no meter inline.

Marconi my tornado is damaged very badly. I don't even remeber where I stuck the coil portion at. My tornado took a spill from atop my mast from up on the roof and it didn't manage too well LOL! I'll never work by myself again!!

Well I finally got it up. Its 1.2 on Ch 1 and 1.5 on Ch 40. I'm done with it for today about had enough. Thanks all your guys for your help.

Final results. I will work on my SWR at a later date. Thanks to all who chimed in.

Attachments

• Sirio 4.jpg
    Sirio 4.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 20
  • Sirio 3.jpg
    Sirio 3.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 16

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.