• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New small linear amps!

Am confused about the RM KL amps. Some say they work fine with stock CB's while others say 1-2 watts is the absolute dead key limit or the amp will die.

Found this at Bells CB: 6 watts dead key into KL 35 = 50 watts out!

Cobra 25LTD with KL-35 amp Tune-up Report - YouTube

Think again my friend, that 6 watt dead key swinging 50 is the total output AFTER the amp. The radio itself had to be pretty much de-tuned to work with that dinky RM35. That is a complete waste of a set-up.

Think again my friend, that 6 watt dead key swinging 50 is the total output AFTER the amp. The radio itself had to be pretty much de-tuned to work with that dinky RM35. That is a complete waste of a set-up.

Oops. :blushing:

Never mind.

Thanks, 9C1.

Time to quit dreaming and break out the wallet.

Is there anything out there that will:

a. Work with a 4 watt dead key input

AND

b. Work with my 11 amp power supply?

(Looked in my wallet and pickin's are slim.)

You pretty much need to match up the radio to whatever amp you're wanting to use. They make high drive amps but I'm new at this. DTB only charges just under $23 for a basic tune and you can ask him if he can turn down the deadkey on your radio before sending it to him. I usually send my radios to him priority two day mail with enough insurance to cover any loss.
CB Radios/ Export Radios/ Amplifiers/cb amps

CB Services and Prices

Is there anything out there that will:

a. Work with a 4 watt dead key input

AND

b. Work with my 11 amp power supply?

(Looked in my wallet and pickin's are slim.)

You can't run a 100 watt amp with an 11 amp supply. You'll need a 20 amp supply minimum that will handle a little more on peaks. You can pick up a suitable switching PC/LED power supply online for cheap. eBay has them too with free shipping.

My 959(1 watt DK) is doing it's thing with my KL203 on a Pyramid 12A/14 surge power supply on am but it's a stretch on SSB. I'm using my antenna tuner to keep both the radio and the 203 happy swr wise. Anything other than a 1.1 swr means too much current draw thus severe dimming of the 959's meter light.

Reactions: Old_Crow
All good advice. Thanks.

Life was a whole lot more simple back in the 70s with my JB-90 plugged into the wall outlet, turning my 4 watts into about 50. Those were the days. Sure made my Browning Golden Eagle w/amplified D104 desk mic ping through my Astro-Beam. (Sigh)

All good advice. Thanks.

Life was a whole lot more simple back in the 70s with my JB-90 plugged into the wall outlet, turning my 4 watts into about 50. Those were the days. Sure made my Browning Golden Eagle w/amplified D104 desk mic ping through my Astro-Beam. (Sigh)

A lot of us had those days. A Lafayette Comstat 25B, Turner +2 into a Super Penetrator GP. A 3 tube 6lq6 amp built on an upside down aluminum cake pan with parts we used to scavenge from old tv sets. Ah yes...learned about hf amplification and the power of an electrolytic cap discharging into my 16 year old thumb.

A lot of us had those days. A Lafayette Comstat 25B, Turner +2 into a Super Penetrator GP. A 3 tube 6lq6 amp built on an upside down aluminum cake pan with parts we used to scavenge from old tv sets. Ah yes...learned about hf amplification and the power of an electrolytic cap discharging into my 16 year old thumb.

(y)

I'd kill for that Lafayette, Turner +2 and SP right now. Before my Golden Eagle, I had several others but my favorite setup was a Pearce Simpson Guardian (ugly as all get out, but what a great radio), Turner +2 and CLR2 GP (with the JB-90). Sure wish I'd boxed it all up for a rainy day forty years down the road.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.