• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New (to me) radio

RatsoW8

Supporting Member, W9WDX ARC Member - WD8T
Nov 3, 2009
West Central Michigan
I've owned just about all of the Kenwood hybrid radios over the years and sold all of them to buy other equipment. But, the TS-830S was always a favorite so I've been looking for one for quite a while and finally found a really nice one. A ham I've bought a few other things from re-furbished this 830S to what I'd call pristine condition. It's 100% working, perfect face and case, all the controls are tight like a new radio, has a VFO stabilizer circuit and of course the old grain of wheat lamps have been replaced with LEDs.

I've only had it for a week but I'm loving it. I'd forgotten how nice the receivers are on these rigs and listening to it is a pleasure. Transmit audio with a D-104 mic is really nice as well the rig is going to be paired up with my SB-200 amp.

I think my FTDX-1200 is a little jealous :)

TS-830S.jpg

She's a beauty, my friend! I have one as well, (not as clean as yours, though). Love the rig, and the receiver is just fantastic. I may buy an MC-50 for mine, because from the ones I have heard on the air on other KW hybrids, they sound fantastic. Congrats!

BTW, is your D104 amplified or non? I have a couple sitting around here, along with a Shure 444 that is wired for my Drake C Line twins.

Brett

She's a beauty, my friend! I have one as well, (not as clean as yours, though). Love the rig, and the receiver is just fantastic. I may buy an MC-50 for mine, because from the ones I have heard on the air on other KW hybrids, they sound fantastic. Congrats!

BTW, is your D104 amplified or non? I have a couple sitting around here, along with a Shure 444 that is wired for my Drake C Line twins.

Brett

Beautiful sounding receive. Thanks for the clip.

Reactions: 2RT307
I've owned just about all of the Kenwood hybrid radios over the years and sold all of them to buy other equipment. But, the TS-830S was always a favorite so I've been looking for one for quite a while and finally found a really nice one. A ham I've bought a few other things from re-furbished this 830S to what I'd call pristine condition. It's 100% working, perfect face and case, all the controls are tight like a new radio, has a VFO stabilizer circuit and of course the old grain of wheat lamps have been replaced with LEDs.

I've only had it for a week but I'm loving it. I'd forgotten how nice the receivers are on these rigs and listening to it is a pleasure. Transmit audio with a D-104 mic is really nice as well the rig is going to be paired up with my SB-200 amp.

View attachment 17707
Excellent looking 830s. Good luck and enjoy. I'm sure you will.

I use mine with an MC50 mic and love the receive, I can listen to that old Kenwood all day and enjoy every minute of it.

Brett

Thanks guys for all the nice comments.

Brett - Those guys in the clip sound like they're in the room with you and you even had the attenuaton in.

It's amplified D-104 on the T-UG9 stand. The ham I bought it from even included a real nice looking MC-50 and I also have a Shure 444 on the shelf. I haven't been on the air enough this week to get any audio reports on the other mics. I'm doing some upodating in all the rooms upstairs (one at a time of course) so I'm going to spend another hour up there and then get some air time in on the 830.

Wavrider - I agree man, the audio is really nice and easy on the ears.

Reactions: wavrider and 2RT307

View attachment 17707

Very nice - that is a good find and it looks great. I've been looking for a TS-830 at local ham fests and the ones I've seen over the last couple of years have all been in very rough shape but were priced like they were pristine.

My goal is to build a TS-830 line system. It's kind of worked backyards, as I've already located at different times and bought an external VFO-240, AT-230 tuner and a SP-230 speaker. I figure if I'm patient I'll find a nice clean TS-830.

With what you have, I would use the FTDX-1200 as a daily driver and fire up the 830 for longer conversation or hanging out on a net.

6meter - You are right in that 830's in good or better condition are getting harder to find. I got lucky on this one. Fortunately I had already purchased an Icom IC-271A all mode 2 meter radio from this particular ham and knew it would be in the condition he listed it as. The 271A was fully loaded with updates and looks and feels like it just came new from the factory. The 830 isn't quite that good but close.

I have the 830 set up on a separate antenna and will use it mostly for rag chewing and net check in on 40 and 80 meters. Honestly the 1200 is always on when I'm home and it's my main DX and chit chat radio 20m and up on hf. The technology in the 1200 is amazing and it's not even Yaesu's top end rig.

I also have a really nice TS-820S that I'm debating selling or not but, I really don't need it I suppose but, I hate selling radios like this that are in really nice shape and becoming harder to locate in this condition without overpaying. I’ve seen 820’s and 830’s in “nice but unable to test” condition on eBay going to $550+. Its nuts. I might just look for someone to do the factory alignment on the 820 and keep it.

Ratso I understand your in-decision to sell the 820.

I got an 820 given to me, it was found in the garbage.
Download the service manual and a lot of TLC that old rig is up and running.

Some new paint and knobs and she looks and works great.

TS 830 came to me for $200 with a dead drive tube, replaced the tube and aligned it to factory specs and MAN I like that gold line.
So neither one will leave or be sold, I hate getting rid of any of the older rigs and can not convince myself to buy a newer one as those old girls sure make the hobby fun, even if just SWL'ing

Reactions: 2RT307 and RatsoW8
A local in our club bought an 820, from a silent key, and I can't blame him. Except for the fact that it's not transmitting! He could have had an 830 for the same price, and it has the WARC bands. I think any Kenwood hybrid is a keeper... but you have to weigh your wants/needs. And don't sell your 820 unless you aren't using it!
Your 830 sure is a beauty... would be cool if you did a video. My camera phone stinks for recording audio, but makes my rigs sound decent.

Brett

I keep coming back to look at the picture of your rig. It really is gorgeous! There are some qsl cards available on WB4HFN's site that are original Kenwood items. Your rig looks every bit as good or better! Any chance you might make a video of it in operation?

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated