• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New to radio

robt46

Sep 30, 2005
Pa.
Hi, just registered. Hope someone can help. I have a Emporer 5010 10 meter and I'm mounting in my Jeep Cherokee. I figured to hook it directly to the battery. And was getting advice on cables. Coax seems to be what I was being told. I"m wondering if this is the best way. Or is there shielded cable that anyone could suggest. I want to do this right. Any advise would be appreciated. Thanks Robt.

Which?

Which are you talking about hooking up: battery or antenna? If it is the battery, I would use some heavy-duty stranded wire direct to the battery thru fuses(s). Use the coax for the antenna. Run just enough to get from the radio to the antenna.

CWM

Using shielded wire for the power leads is wasted effort. Won't improve performance at all, usually.

Best advice for a direct-to-battery hookup is to make sure you have circuit protection in the hot lead AT THE BATTERY where you tap in. Yes, the radio has its own fuse, at the far OTHER end of the wire. You need a fuse, or small breaker close to the battery post. This will protect the wire from setting the vehicle on fire if it were to get pinched in a fender-bender, or rubbing against the rough edge of a hole in the firewall. The small auto-reset breakers with two threaded posts on them will do the job. Less fuss than a fuse. Besides, a fuse needs to get wrapped in tape, or otherwise protected from spray under the hood. If the end caps on a fuse get dirty or tarnished, it will run hot and may blow for no other reason.

On the whole, hooking directly to the battery tends to work best. You just have to remember to turn it off when you park the car.

radio hookup

Thanks for the advise. The coax I was told to use was on the power wires. I will fuse the power wires at the battery. I just thought unshielded cables wouldnt pick interference from the coils. The 6 cyl. has a coil bar running on the same side as the battery.Instesd of a coil/distributor. Just thought there might be interference from this if I ran anything else. Good advise. I thought the Antenna coax was to be a length equal to a wave length. I was also told like 18 ft. Then I was also told 12ft. would be the magic number. Figured by an equation on a wave length. Is there any substance to this. Robt.

Re: radio hookup

robt46 said:
I thought the antenna coax was to be a length equal to a wave length. I was also told like 18 ft. Then I was also told 12ft would be the magic number. Figured by an equation on a wave length. Is there any substance to this.

The quick answer is NO. Will this urban legend ever die?!

Cable length

Urban legend ehh! Hehe. There is a lot of advise being given out. You dont know who to listen to. That peice of advise was from the outfit I was talking to about an antenna. I saw one guy have all this coax strung and laid out neatly in zigzags under his back seat. Had to ask. Urban legend,Hehe. I like that.Robt.

Re: Cable length

robt46 said:
Urban legend ehh! Hehe. There is a lot of advise being given out. You dont know who to listen to. That peice of advise was from the outfit I was talking to about an antenna. I saw one guy have all this coax strung and laid out neatly in zigzags under his back seat. Had to ask. Urban legend,Hehe. I like that.Robt.

It's a legend cuz it's not true. The length of cable you need is directly from the radio to the antenna. That's all you need.

And a word to the wise: You need an FCC issued Ceneral-class Amateur Radio Operator's license to legally use that radio on 10 meters. Transmitting on 10 meters without a license violates FCC regs. And you can't legally use the radio on CB, either.

Cable length

Thanks for the comeback. I wasnt sure who to take advise from. Everyone here sounds logical. Yeah, I know I'm studing for my exam now. Boy is there a lot of Questions. Whew! Hehe. At least the code is something I can memorize. I'm trying to listen like I've been advised. It seems to be working. Let you know. Still studying Questions. Robt. Whoops--- had to edit. You can't use the CB either. I just saw that. (I'm a little slow) Hehe. You mean if I have a 10 meter with 11 and just use the AM(CB channels) That's illegal??? But if I use a CB (AM) it's OK.!!!!Huh! Didnt know that. Thanks for telling me.???? Robt. Can somebody clarify this. Thanks.

Re: Cable length

robt46 said:
Thanks for the comeback. I wasnt sure who to take advise from. Everyone here sounds logical. Yeah, I know I'm studing for my exam now. Boy is there a lot of Questions. Whew! Hehe. At least the code is something I can memorize. I'm trying to listen like I've been advised. It seems to be working. Let you know. Still studying Questions. Robt. Whoops--- had to edit. You can't use the CB either. I just saw that. (I'm a little slow) Hehe. You mean if I have a 10 meter with 11 and just use the AM(CB channels) That's illegal??? But if I use a CB (AM) it's OK.!!!!Huh! Didnt know that. Thanks for telling me.???? Robt. Can somebody clarify this. Thanks.

The FCC rules for CB equipment requires CB sets to operate only on 11 meters using 4 watts output only on the 40 channels. All CB radios must be approved by the FCC for use on CB, and export units are not apporved by the FCC for use on CB.

Radios that do anything other than the 40 channels and the 4 watts are illegal to use on CB. Your export radio does not meet the rules to use on CB. And CB sets cannot have any other bands on them. They're restricted soley to CB. And radios that operate on both 11 meters and 10 meters are also illegal.

You can legally use your UNMODIFIED export on 10 meters if you have the Tech license if you pass the code test, but you are restricted to certain portions of the 10 meter band. Full use of 10 meters means you need the General license.

Good luck with your studies and I encourage you to keep at learning the code. As a Tech with code, you will have other HF bands available to you that are CW and lots of DX hangs out there when the bands are open.

Radios

Hey thanks for the explaination and the encouragement. It means a lot. After reading your comment I was looking in the Export and CB Disscusions sections and I didnt notice any body talking about the legalities of the radios. Except one section on FCC list of Illegal radios. My Emporer wasnt on it. Don't the big radios have the capability of 11 meters. I mean I here guys from base stations all the time on 11 meters and they are always talking about there Kenwoods, Icoms,Yaesu and such. There on 11 meters and 10 meters. My Cobra 148GTL is Sideband. I dont understand why all the concern on this and that being Illegal. I Emailed some guy at FCC to give me some explanations about this Illegal stuff. Just me thinking again. (watch out) Hehe. Robt.

Some people illegally modify amateur radios for use on CB. That's against te rules also since ham rigs are not approved for use anywhere but the ham bands with an exception that they can be legally modified for use on a military afficiate radio system which isn't ham radio but many hams participate in this.

Just take everything you read regarding exports and CBs and modified rigs with a grain of salt. Not everything talked about is within the rules.

Radios

Hey thanks for the info,Kid. I'm learning so much. Hehe. That Military afficiate radio system sounds interesting. How would I find out about it. I'll try a search but I have the worst luck trying to find anything. My son is stationed overseas. Like toknow more about it. Thanks Robt.

Hey, Just searched for the MARS. It's very interesting. Gives me more motivation for my Licence. My son is stationed in Okinawa. I'll ask him if he's heard of it. His MOS is communications. He should have. Hehe. He is into antennas and relay stations. Anyway thanks for giving me some Ideas. Robt.

Yes, MARS is the system I was referring to. I'm glad you did some research to find it, too. Each branch of the military has their own MARS network and any ham can join. They give you a training series to go through although I don't know what that is about.

Mars radio

Yeah I've been cruising around the Website. Looks interesting. They do provide training and tests. To join you have to have at least a Tech License. I have something to aim for. I got a call into my son asking him if he is familiar with this. They have ship to shore. That would be great. He's always out to sea. I can't wait to get my ticket. I gotta find out about some equipment. I gotta get going on this. Robt. Thanks Kid!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.