• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Uniden 980's on sale

Wish I had the equipment and skills to do my own tune. I'm sure there is room for improvement on this 980. Just out of the box w/ a D104m6b, coupled to ld450
I might get some grief from people for saying this but having a scope is nice but not mandatory. I believe that every station needs a station monitor. For the longest time I would tune by ear with the radio that I use as a station monitor, so I could hear what the adjustments sounded like. That and a watt meter is all that I used. Now that I have a scope, I find myself still going by ear and you can get away with a little bit of flat topping on voice peaks and still sound good. A modulation meter can be a good gauge too. I didn't know anything about these adjustments two years ago before I joined here. I still don't know much about doing an alignment and I am still learning.
Chris

Don't do it if you mounting it for mobile use, and the vehicle has a lot of ignition noise. The noise blanker does not work period. Actually don't know what the noise blanker does, but it sure does not do anything to suppress ignition noise.

I had the 980 too, but I could not see the screen during daylight mobile use, so it got sent back to Amazon. The noise blanker on the 980 works great. I liked the radio, but the screen was a deal killer for me.

I ended up with a President Ronald, and it has a good noise blanker plus a high cut too. Screen is easy to see during daylight mobile use. If I had to do it over again, I would have bought the McKinley with SSB, but did not have the extra cash at the time. Anyway, the Ronald has been an excellent radio for the five weeks that I have owned it.

The Ronald is on sell at Amazon for $109 right now. I paid $129 for mine.
I guess I am fortunate because I installed the new Stryker 94 into my 2019 F-350 a few days ago and there is no ignition noise.
What I don't like about the 94 when I'm driving is that each time I want to adjust the squelch or volume, I have to push the Function button, then push P4 and P5 to get to the squelch and volume mode and then turn the channel switch to adjust the settings. Due to the location of the 94, I get too distracted when I try to adjust the squelch and volume. I'm an "old school" guy and I prefer a rotating squelch and volume control knob. The 94 is a quality, nice transmit and receive, great SWR and perfect fit radio for my truck but it's not for me. I'm waiting for a new Stryker 447 to arrive.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.