• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Uniden 980's on sale

I ordered the pair of 203 and they arrived yesterday, 2 day priority mail. I hooked one up and checked it out, seems to be a nice little unit. I read somewhere that they are AB bias but not sure. The older ones were red, I'm not sure what the difference is.

View attachment 32121
Shadtree,

Nice. Noticed picture of the Astatic D104M6B, got my 980 up today, but the 104 doesn't seem to work. Was there anything special done to get it to work?

Hooked up the LD 450, but too much draw on pwr supply. The 225 works well with the 980. Friend of mine about ten miles out reports great rec on his barefoot, I was putting a 5 on him. His barefoot was a 3. Not bad for bone stock with his swr at 1.5 to 1.7. Mine 1.1.....flat 1 swr lsb 38.

Currently listening to the weather station, neat little perk there. Better than the little weather boxes you buy.

Shadtree,

Nice. Noticed picture of the Astatic D104M6B, got my 980 up today, but the 104 doesn't seem to work. Was there anything special done to get it to work?

Hooked up the LD 450, but too much draw on pwr supply. The 225 works well with the 980. Friend of mine about ten miles out reports great rec on his barefoot, I was putting a 5 on him. His barefoot was a 3. Not bad for bone stock with his swr at 1.5 to 1.7. Mine 1.1.....flat 1 swr lsb 38.

Currently listening to the weather station, neat little perk there. Better than the little weather boxes you buy.
I just used the mic adapter that came with the 980. The mic works on my Cobra 29 so I don't think it is anything special. When I first got the mic, I wasn't pushing the button in all the way so it would key but without the audio. Does your mic work on a 4 pin radio?

I just used the mic adapter that came with the 980. The mic works on my Cobra 29 so I don't think it is anything special. When I first got the mic, I wasn't pushing the button in all the way so it would key but without the audio. Does your mic work on a 4 pin radio?

Dunno. Will be next step, took the Uniden 66 offline to play with 980. Keys up, shows pwr then backs dwn like not keyed. May be like you say. Not impressed with the Astatic D104M6B, cheaply built. Have always liked Road Devils.

Dunno. Will be next step, took the Uniden 66 offline to play with 980. Keys up, shows pwr then backs dwn like not keyed. May be like you say. Not impressed with the Astatic D104M6B, cheaply built. Have always liked Road Devils.
Might need to clean the switch. I do not use mine very much but the cheap little switch needs to be cleaned frequently. You are right, the quality of the D104m6b is sad.

Is it supposed to be a noise cancelling mic? I don’t need one in the house for sure, and don’t seem to need one in the pickup either.
If you take the disk out it makes a huge difference in sound. With it in, you have to eat the mic. With it out, about two inches away is fine. It is a rubber disk with a small hole in the middle covered by a small cloth disk. There is also a piece of black felt that I put back in because it didn't make any difference, just keeps the element from being visible through the grill.

Might need to clean the switch. I do not use mine very much but the cheap little switch needs to be cleaned frequently. You are right, the quality of the D104m6b is sad.
Well, acts like it may work AM but not SSB. That doesn't seem logical. Put damned thing down. Wanted to take it apart but a new mic should work like a new microphone. I'll try it on another radio.

Have alot of RF noise here tonight. Sideband is quite with some conversation about.

Time for some medicine and bed. I think dogs have other ideas, I was just given a ball by one.

If you take the disk out it makes a huge difference in sound. With it in, you have to eat the mic. With it out, about two inches away is fine. It is a rubber disk with a small hole in the middle covered by a small cloth disk. There is also a piece of black felt that I put back in because it didn't make any difference, just keeps the element from being visible through the grill.
Ah ha! Maybe that's why a few guys have told me that I sound as though I am whispering when I use the stock mic on my 980. I'll remove the disk and see what happens. Maybe the purpose of the black felt is to keep the moisture from our breath from contacting the internal components of the mic.
As soon as my tuned-up Grant XL, Galaxy 2547 and my new 955 arrive, I will probably sell my stock 980.

You gonna love this one.......it's a parody of "Turn the gas on Dummy!"

SOO....I get the 11 o'clock curiosity.......

Opened the damned thing up after trying to get the mic to work. Started clicking the switch...twitch, twitch.....then I saw it. Before, I couldn't see the tree because the forest was in the way....but there was some foam padding on backside and on control board. Looking around I found it!
My dumb ass had not installed a 9 volt battery!

You gonna love this one.......it's a parody of "Turn the gas on Dummy!"

SOO....I get the 11 o'clock curiosity.......

Opened the damned thing up after trying to get the mic to work. Started clicking the switch...twitch, twitch.....then I saw it. Before, I couldn't see the tree because the forest was in the way....but there was some foam padding on backside and on control board. Looking around I found it!
My dumb ass had not installed a 9 volt battery!
Haha, sounds like something I would do!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.