• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New User needs advise

View attachment 31274
View attachment 31272 View attachment 31273

These are the Pro-Comm mounts for the new model Cascadia as shown in pics. 7’ Skipshooters on Predator studs under Hustler quick disconnect.

And my attempts at a CMC choke.

There was a point near where I got out of it (skip was tremendous at that time) that, if I could hear them, they could hear me.

Power was from fuse panel under passenger dash.

Galaxy 99V2 (50W approx) with MFJ tuner, Palomar Engineers 12V filter, Rig Runner Power Distribution on back of Tac-Comm TR-2 Radio Carrier.

A Uniden BC-20 as the ClearSpeaker was at the house.

Looks like I had an RK56 hooked up that day.

View attachment 31275
Nice setup Slowmover. Will get the mount, what is the second cable? Ground perhaps?

Reactions: Slowmover
After a careful review of that image, would’ve been:

— Radio Gear Power

— Coax

— (Dinged if I remember.)

A9F082B8-BB01-408D-863A-E171C57DFCF4.jpeg
53E9105E-F1E2-4964-BC28-E58FF61A3D9B.jpeg

Above is the stock mount. As the Predator studs are no longer available, I’d recommend the TOPGUNTEC SS UHD studs (NOT the Wilson ones, which strip).

As you can see, they tighten up with an Allen wrench.

BOBS CB carries them and the PRO COMM mount.

I keep at it with trying improvements, so another recommendation more recent than the above is in sealing the coax connections:

8A59A638-3983-492A-9731-910910E3B0A3.jpeg

867CA879-97EC-44C2-8E4C-B16E37E433BD.jpeg

Hand tighten coax connector with a tiny dab of blue Loctite applied.

1). STUF dielectric antenna grease.

2). Silicone self-fusing tape

The second can be found as RESCUE brand.

I make a final double-wrap with SCOTCH 88 as it’s easier to clean off the bugs & road grit.

525CBBC2-06FC-4BBC-A744-CCD6DAF41D33.jpeg
I’ve also taken to applying several coats of REJEX (paint sealant) to the antennas before installation. (And it’s great on polished wheels, etc, to keep them clean longer with easier wipe down. Survives Blue Beacon pretty well).

All at Amazon

Last edited:
I’ll add that discussions on a CMC Choke at the antenna feedpoint is worth your while.

D52A953B-897D-44CE-A53F-3F839EC86CBC.jpeg

There’s more than one way to skin the neighbors cat. Shown is a monster ferrite piece from PALOMAR ENGINEERS hanging from mount. Other designs and types (all sorts of shapes & sizes) are out there.

My “attitude” is noise filtration at both ends of the coax, and again at both ends of 12V power. Trucks ain’t quiet. Thus, experiments worthwhile (I also have pickup mobile plus travel trailer. The Pete has been used to test).

Also, the other biggest performance enhancement after best we can do with big truck antenna is

Digital Signal Filtration

where use of a mobile speaker equipped with adjustable DSP is an eye-opener

West Mountain Radio ClearSpeaker

See threads this forum. What expensive export radios lack and used HAM equipment at the same price, doesn’t.

Your radio is receiving signals YOU CAN’T decipher against the noise.

Ever had to back off the RF gain due to TOO MANY conversations? Ha!

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.