• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

New Wildfire in Mariposa County, Ca

AudioShockwav

Extraterrestrial
Staff member
Apr 6, 2005
Nor Cal Sierra Nevada
Just above us in Midpines. We can see the Smoke from the Driveway, Crews, Engines, Water Tenders all around us on the move.
This is from my place looking north.
Just saw 2 Big dozers go past the driveway from the Cal Fire Station...It is going to be a long night.

Attachments

• yose2.jpg
    yose2.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 154

Cal Fire estimates 100+ acres and growing, Temp 88 Degrees, Wind NorthWest at 17 Mph, gusting to 22.
18% humidity, very dry conditions at this time.
I hope we can get some air support up here before this gets out of hand, I have many friends that live up in the Heights Cove,Jerseydale and Clouds Rest area.
It has a Name, The Carstens fire.

http://wlfhotlist.com/threads/34800-CA-MMU-Carstens
Jeff

Last edited:
Thank you Captain, it is moving South so far, good for me, not good for anyone that way.
We will be ok here for now, Mandatory Evacuations for more than 500 Residents up In the Jerseydale area above us.
The Big Issue today will be wind.

Here are a few Pics from the ridge.
Road Closures.

Jeff

Attachments

• Carfiremorning.jpg
    Carfiremorning.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 239
  • carfire8.jpg
    carfire8.jpg
    64.7 KB · Views: 160
  • carfire6.jpg
    carfire6.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 192
  • carfire4.jpg
    carfire4.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 217
  • Carfire2.JPG
    Carfire2.JPG
    101.6 KB · Views: 140
  • CarFire1.JPG
    CarFire1.JPG
    127.7 KB · Views: 203
Last edited:
Quick Update last night
As of 17:15 Hrs per So Ops :
Fire is at 1600 acres with 15% containment.
Latest update from Mariposa County Sheriff's Office:
Fire Update 17:40- Fire IC has issued an Evacuation Order for the following areas:

Lushmeadows Subdivision
Triangle Rd- from Darrah Rd to East Westfall both north and south sides.
Darrah Rd from Triangle to Valley View & Deer Springs including Nickel Plate Rd

Red Cross Shelters are set up at the Mariposa Elementary School located at 5044 Jones Street.

Animals and livestock are being accepted at the Mariposa County Fairgrounds.

Road Closures will continue at Buckingham Mountain Road, Carter Rd, Jerseydale Rd and Darrah to East Westfall. Triangle from Hwy 140 to Darrah Rd is open to residents only.

Here is a Picture from Yosemite Nat Park, Glacier Point road looking east, you can see the lights of Merced and the San Joaquin Valley are in the distance.

( Picture courtesy of Troy Montemayor )

Attachments

• 1004584_10201374323224805_861469294_n.jpg
    1004584_10201374323224805_861469294_n.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 160
Things are improving, cooler weather and favorable winds have helped Cal-Fire, NSF and other crews.
As of Tuesday, June 18th at 6:00 PM the Carstens Fire is 40% contained. The fire burned 1,888 acres and no structures were damaged. Over 1,000 residents were asked to evacuate the area. There are still over 1,100 firefighters, 62 fire engines, 16 dozers, six air tankers and as many as 10 helicopters with 30 Local law enforcement officers assigned to the incident.
Firefighters expect the fire to remain within the primary containment lines but there are no guarantees.
Even If conditions remain stable, Fire personnel are likely to be in the area working on mop up and patrolling the fire line for the next several weeks.
Large fire apparatus, bulldozers on transports and other equipment are still using the roads within and adjacent to the fire.
My hats off to the over 1000 Firefighters on the ground, Dozer Operators, Engine crews and Aviators that provided air support.
I do not know how many of you have been up to the area around here but this is rugged country.
Often These crews have to struggle just to get to the fire, before they fight it. Many, like the HotShot crews are Air Dropped, and once on the ground, are basically on their own.

Jeff

Attachments

• 562914_410243965701436_1668207900_n.jpg
    562914_410243965701436_1668207900_n.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 178
You know Jeff, it's times like this when I realize that living in the highest taxed province in one of the highest taxed countries, putting up with the snow and crappy weather in the winter, and in general an economically depressed area is not so bad after all. California has it's earthquakes and wild fires EVERY year. Florida and the Gulf Coast have their hurricanes EVERY year. The mid-west/Great Plains have their tornadoes EVERY year. The south-west USA has their heat waves/drought EVERY year. Lots of places along major rivers have floods EVERY year. Many parts of the world have famine EVERY year and constant armed aggression within their own borders.Where I live we bitch about three days of rain or a foot of snow or when it gets over 85 degrees. I keep telling people here that we should just shut up and count our blessings that we just don't have the life altering crap that so many others endure not just once in a lifetime but on a regular basis.

Reactions: 1 person
You know Jeff, it's times like this when I realize that living in the highest taxed province in one of the highest taxed countries, putting up with the snow and crappy weather in the winter, and in general an economically depressed area is not so bad after all. California has it's earthquakes and wild fires EVERY year. Florida and the Gulf Coast have their hurricanes EVERY year. The mid-west/Great Plains have their tornadoes EVERY year. The south-west USA has their heat waves/drought EVERY year. Lots of places along major rivers have floods EVERY year. Many parts of the world have famine EVERY year and constant armed aggression within their own borders.Where I live we bitch about three days of rain or a foot of snow or when it gets over 85 degrees. I keep telling people here that we should just shut up and count our blessings that we just don't have the life altering crap that so many others endure not just once in a lifetime but on a regular basis.

Yeah, but you have all those Canadians up there to put up with.:D

As of this afternoon, 70% containment, and they have lifted the Evac orders. Big thanks go out to the 2600+ Firefighters, Red Cross, Cal Fire, the Forest Service, the California Highway Patrol, the National Park Service, the Mariposa County sheriff's and fire departments , other agencies and personnel that were on this fire at the peak of the firefight.
Not a single structure was damaged, and there was only 1 reported injury.
Total cost has already exceeded $5.6 million and there will still be Firefighters using bulldozers and hand crews to build a line around the north end of the fire, with additional crews working hotspots and mop up until 100% containment is achieved.
All of this because someone did not put out there campfire. :thumbdown:
Idiots.

If C/K and Binrat are the worst that Canada Has to offer, I got no problem putting up with our northern neighbors.
I would much rather put up with them than stupid tourists that come up here camping and burn the forest down.

Jeff

Last edited:
Glad to hear the latest Jeff. Only thing worse than idiots that don't put out campfires are the bastards that set fires on purpose. I say tie them to a tree down wind and and let Mother Nature get her revenge.

All of this because someone did not put out there campfire. :thumbdown:
Idiots.

If C/K and Binrat are the worst that Canada Has to offer, I got no problem putting up with our northern neighbors.
I would much rather put up with them than stupid tourists that come up here camping and burn the forest down.

Jeff

The campers weren't from Canada were they? :eek:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.