• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbee needs help... torn between Yeasu 897D and FT 450D

Palex9

Dec 23, 2012
Will be taking my technician test in about 2 weeks. Right now I have a Baofang 5R which I only use on the GRMS frequencies. What I would like (if doable is another thing ) is to get a radio that covers as many bands as possible as I plan to take the General license within a couple months. I am in NC and am interested in DX'ing Europe (Germany, Austria specifically) but also as many other places as possible. At the same time I want to call around the US also. Important that I can hook up the radio to my computer (mac and pc) for RTTY, Packet and all those good things. Also heard about HRD which appears to be a good thing. My budget is about $1200 incl. antennas.

Which antennas are best for the buck?

So essentially is the 897D preferable as I covers more bands or is the 450D 'better' for HF and I should just get (or just use the Baofeng) a separate radio for 2m and 70cm? Any and all suggestions are appreciated.

The FT-897D is a fine little radio, especially after you add a Collins/Yaesu 2.9khz SSB filter, you'll really love the audio.
The FT-450 is a newer DSP rig and might be a little better at noise removal, but I'd tend to grab the FT-897D especially if one can be found for a nice price.
I'm sort of an analog meter nut and love the fact you can plug one right into the jack provided for it on the back of the FT-897D, but I'm not sure of the 450 offers that option.
Having all modes from HF to UHF (minus only 222mhz band) is a really cool feature on the FT-897D which you'll probably use fairly often, especially if you get into 2m SSB. Just make certain you're getting the 'D' series since those have a TCXO added at the factory.
I'm sorry but I don't know much about the FT-450, but I have seen a lot of those for sale shortly after they're purchased, not a good sign. :glare:

I think with your budget you might start looking at the used market. I don't own either of those radios so can't say much about them. Most late model radios of almost any brand will be capable of what you are looking for. Pick the options you think you want and start looking.
Have fun.
- 'Doc

The FT-897D is my first HF base radio and is well worth the money I spent on it. I would highly recommend getting the 897D. It has so much to offer in one package and makes a great all around radio.

Reactions: 1 person
I had the 450D a few years back. It left my shack in a hurry, and at a slight loss of investment I might add. I hated it.

I've been looking for the right deal on a 897. Most that own them seem to like 'em.

Last edited:
If you plan on operating on hf make sure you have an auto notch or you will be driven mad by tuner uppers.

Buy the 897D because it's been on the market long enough that Yaesu already used the amateur community to find all their bugs in the earlier version they dumped on us! Yaesu has gotten really bad at letting things go to market before everything is debugged, not publishing service bulletins once these mistakes are clearly identified, not doing service recalls on any mistake, and charging the customer to fix these problems if you didn't notice them before the warranty was up.

I know a few folks in my area that have the 897 or 857 ( they are the same radio in a different package ) and those folks are very happy with their radios,and they sound great on the air !!

I am seriously looking at either the 857 or 897 for my next radio

I know a few folks in my area that have the 897 or 857 ( they are the same radio in a different package ) and those folks are very happy with their radios,and they sound great on the air !!

I am seriously looking at either the 857 or 897 for my next radio

If they have the non "D" version of the 897 or 857 and they are happy with it, they never transmitted on 6 meters. There are countless incorrect fixes for this 6 meter issue online. They direct you to tighten ground screws, adjust bias and various other things. If you send the rig in to Yaesu, there fix is to replace the FET driver transistors with a new device that is much more stable with reduced gain.

I had a Yaesu 897D for a very short while. It had a spur right on one of the frequencies i work the most. Dealer said tough luck and the factory didn't want to see it. Sold it and bought a Kenwood TS-480SAT. Still have the 480, have it permanently mounted in the truck and use it mobile all of the time.

I've got the Ft 857D....and it's on the noisy side.... I still use it as a mobile radio in my truck. I wish I'd bought the Icom 7000. In my shack I've got a Icom 756 Pro... I bought used for less than a $1000.

If they have the non "D" version of the 897 or 857 and they are happy with it, they never transmitted on 6 meters. There are countless incorrect fixes for this 6 meter issue online. They direct you to tighten ground screws, adjust bias and various other things. If you send the rig in to Yaesu, there fix is to replace the FET driver transistors with a new device that is much more stable with reduced gain.

I am talking about current production radios ( the D models )

I do realize the non D models did have some issues ..I am hoping most of those have been dealt with...But I am always looking at different radios to see if they might be what I am looking for

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated