• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie question

White Wino

Oct 24, 2009
Hello all, new to the forum and hoping to get something cleared up.

I have a radio that I want tuned and fully aligned. I have lurked around some forums and seen topics on this subject,but mostly the replies ended with have a certain tech do the tune. My concern is with the unit transmitting the best audio quality(that it is capable of) while also being able to punch through all the trash out there.......Let me first say that I have no knowledge of how electronics actually work. I can hook up a radio and run wires without blowing fuses lol,and have knowledge of the radio functions, I also feel as though I know what a good sounding radio sounds like unlike ALOT of my truck driving colleagues.

Power vs. Modulation.....Clipping vs. not Clipping.

My understanding of power and modulation is this, Power determines,along with how well your antenna is tuned, how far your signal gets transmitted. Modulation determines the level of audio that is transmitted. In other words, power will punch through all the traffic and modulation makes sure you have a high level of audio going out. I feel that may not be the case which is why I am asking.

As for the clipping or not. I am not one who feels that clipping is taboo, crappy audio is though, but I know the limiter plays a roll in the signal quality.I have heard good sounding radios that have been clipped and of course the ones that have been clipped and the mic-gain up way too high resulting in a distorted mess of a signal.

I talked to a tech about the clipping thing and how it relates to modulation since one of my concerns is high audio, how not clipping ( he does not clip) might not allow for 100% modulation and there by not being all it could be.He replied that he just tuned a radio and was getting x number of watts and figured because of those watts he was getting 100% modulation, Let me state that he is a well respected tech on another forum and I would not hesitate to use his services.

Talked to a local tech and he simply says the more power, the louder the unit........so then why do triple window meters have one meter for watts and another for modulation, that implies there is a difference in the watts you put out and the amount of modulation you achieve, yes?

Last edited:

WHITE RHINO..true the more power the louder but you have to adjust the mic gain to get clean audio and not be over modulated.

"Besides, linears are illegal for non-Hams..."
*Right; but they buy and use them anyway...*

"...I have a radio that I want tuned and fully aligned. I have lurked around some forums and seen topics on this subject,but mostly the replies ended with have a certain tech do the tune. My concern is with the unit transmitting the best audio quality(that it is capable of) while also being able to punch through all the trash out there..."
*Tuning also implies the receive circuit - which can go out of whack. The best techs will be familiar with the ins and outs of any radio used. They will know if there are factory mods that correct defects in design. Moreover; a tech won't want to give you back your radio unless it passes his requirements for function.*

"...Let me first say that I have no knowledge of how electronics actually work. I can hook up a radio and run wires without blowing fuses lol,and have knowledge of the radio functions, I also feel as though I know what a good sounding radio sounds like unlike ALOT of my truck driving colleagues."
*Then you won't accidentally destroy your equipment. Decent deal.*

Power vs. Modulation.....Clipping vs. not Clipping.
"...My understanding of power and modulation is this, Power determines,along with how well your antenna is tuned, how far your signal gets transmitted."
*Not always the case; but it does allow the signal to be stronger and less prone to interference.*

"..."Modulation determines the level of audio that is transmitted. In other words, power will punch through all the traffic and modulation makes sure you have a high level of audio going out. I feel that may not be the case which is why I am asking."
*Modulation is audio. Some modulation increases average power output; this is one reason to have a decent mic. Not to mention - the extra clarity it performs. Too much is bad; and too little is almost a waste of time.*

"...As for the clipping or not. I am not one who feels that clipping is taboo, crappy audio is though, but I know the limiter plays a roll in the signal quality.I have heard good sounding radios that have been clipped and of course the ones that have been clipped and the mic-gain up way too high resulting in a distorted mess of a signal."
*Clipping is both audio distortion and amplifier overload. As far as radios are concerned - anyway. Putting too much power into a linear can yield distortion. Amps have requirements as to input power levels. But you can overmoduylate the raduio and feed an amp a distorted signal - yielding amplified audio distortion.*

"...I talked to a tech about the clipping thing and how it relates to modulation since one of my concerns is high audio, how not clipping ( he does not clip) might not allow for 100% modulation and there by not being all it could be.He replied that he just tuned a radio and was getting x number of watts and figured because of those watts he was getting 100% modulation, Let me state that he is a well respected tech on another forum and I would not hesitate to use his services."
*ANY tech will want to tell you what watts it is putting out clean. Beware of any tech that makes it put out all it can and destroys your radio a few weeks later. A radio should run relatively cool, and so should the linear - if they are to survive.*

"...Talked to a local tech and he simply says the more power, the louder the unit........so then why do triple window meters have one meter for watts and another for modulation, that implies there is a difference in the watts you put out and the amount of modulation you achieve, yes?"
*Usually true; burt not necessarily. One has to balance the audio quality and then be concerned for wattage. In that order. Don't sacrifice one for the other.*

WOW!!!! been on this forum for a week and no reply, not even a "Welcome To The Forum"!!:thumbdown:

C'YA!!!

I stand firmly by my rule of only reading the first three lines of any post. Not my fault you couldn't get to the point a tad bit quicker.

Wierd - I didn't even see the post until now. I wonder if it got caught in some limbo state while we were changing hosts?

Talked to a local tech and he simply says the more power, the louder the unit........so then why do triple window meters have one meter for watts and another for modulation, that implies there is a difference in the watts you put out and the amount of modulation you achieve, yes?

Modulation index is a measurement or way to express the amount of increase in power (of the sidebands) from the resting carrier when you talk. Generally on AM 100% modulation is a 4:1 ratio - the power will increase 4 times the carrier.

In simpler terms, modulation will affect how "loud" you sound. Power output will affect how far you can be heard. The two are related and each affects the other. But that's the basics of how it works.

It also sounds like you were fed some BS by some of the other "techs".

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.