• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Newbie to the board looking for a new radio..

O

omnichronic

I've been using CB on an off for about 10 years now, and I want to upgrade to a better radio. I scoured the Internet for different mobile radios and I'm not sure which are good and for what prices. I have a few "must haves" that I want to mention in case you know of a radio that would meet them.

I'm 17, so I'm looking for the most cost effective radio with these features:

-AM/SSB

-Backlit Display (Dimmer Switch, like Cobra's NightWatch)

-Possibly echo or roger beep, but not absolutely necessary

-Weather Band, but not absolutely necessary

-Gain controls (or maybe an automatic gain)

-PA Mode

-Noise reduction (like Cobra's SoundTracker)

So basically I want the cheapest SSB CB with a backlight and PA mode, which I believe they all have anyway. I see that eBay has some SSB models, but they're well above $100 and some over $200. I'm new to SSB so I want to experiment with it. However, if SSB isn't all that great, let me know so I can save a lot of money and buy just an AM CB. I know back in the day there was a BFO-like knob on the radio to adjust the SSB signal, but from what I see with current radios, this seems to be handled internally (I think the old ones didn't use designated channels as they do now. SSB was just anywhere within the band and you had to fine tune to a transmission. Again, this would have been before my time so I can't say for sure. Is SSB really worth the money? Or is it just 12 watts of a waste of money? Thanks!

posticon25.gif

</p>

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.