• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NICE

Happy_Hamer

Administrator
Staff member
Mar 22, 2001
FT-Meter.jpg

Looks like hamer is singing the blues again. :p

Now what would really impress me is if you could get the LDG meter to change colors like the 857 display does. THAT would be cool.

Nicest 'scale model' of a radio that I've seen in a while!
- 'Doc

Wish that were more of a joke than it is for me, my fingers are too big and my eyes to small.

Nope its an ft-857 NON (D) model. You can barely make it out on the upper left corner of the radio, I should know because I used mine to compare it to! They are great AM Rigs when setup right! :LOL:

Dont let the little package fool you. when power is set to 100% it will hit 150watts on voice peaks and 190 watts with a little whistle on ssb. It shows 100 watts AM on voice peaks and the ALC cuts power with a whistle to 80 watts. And it has filtering for everything!

I have an 857D, with the LDG meter accessory. It's a nice little radio. Hamer is just all giddy about this picture because the LDG meter has been changed to Blue. For some reason every radio he has must be blue... :p

dxhound,
Don't misunderstand. I wasn't talking about the power output (least of my worries), but the size of the buttons and the size of my fingers!
- 'Doc

AHH Haaa BLUE is the key! Yeah that ldg meter is nice. I was thinking of getting one but Its just not necessary for me. Have you done any mods to your rig. All I have Done is mars/cap and power modification via hidden service menu. Im having some difficulties setting AM where I like it. Right now I have the proscessor off, carrier set to 30 watts hitting 100 on voice peaks at 100 % power. But if I set the rig any lower than 90 % the radio starts to show negative modulation. The radio still shows plenty of forward swing but I can watch the amp draw start to decrease as modulation is applied and people say the audio is still clear but it swings backwards. I set the power back to factory and it still does this below 90% power. All other modes are fine, just Am is finiky.

I've only done the mars/cap mod on mine. I've heard about the power mods via the service menu but haven't tried it. Honestly, I would be worried about the longevity of the radio if it's running full boar. Maybe I'm wrong on that one, though. Honestly, I primarily use the radio for a portable camping radio and it also sits on my tech bench to use as a stable monitor radio to check others against.

I thought the pix HH posted was of something he did until I visited the LDG site last night. :LOL: Yep the LDG-meter is great. I have one with my 857 in the mobile.

I'm with you Mole on the power mods. The differance a few extra watts would make is not worth the extra heat and stress on a rig that is already being pushed at the factory power level.CB rigs have always been made to run flat out practically but ham gear has always been made with quite a reserve in the power ratings of the output transistors for a reason. Spectral purity and longevity. My Icom 735 was rated at 100 watts but had a pair of transistors rated for 100 watts EACH.No I did not crank up the power on that rig either.

:(I'm with mole on this one too "Honestly, I would be worried about the longevity of the radio if it's running full boar. Maybe I'm wrong on that one, though. Honestly, I primarily use the radio for a portable camping radio and it also sits on my tech bench to use as a stable monitor radio to check others against." I have been saying that for years, and when they show up to have new finals put in i'm laughing at the easy money, especially knowing that even though it's back to factory specs when it leaves they will go to QRZ or DK mods so they can turn the power back up. why pay $500 to $1500 for a really fancy cb and burn it out prematurely for an extra 50 watts max that no one will hear? whatever to each their own. 73

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.