• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Night Eagle D104 issues. Help needed.

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
So my tech wired up a 4 pin and replaced the 8 pin it had on it for a Yaesu 767. He also put the black head on with element from another D104 (see pic of element) MC-320 and possible code date of 9 76. (n)

789FDE2C-D6E6-475F-931C-DCE28B20F0EB.jpeg

Anyway. The mic keys the radio up just fine but I get no modulation (aka swing). Seems like a short or something going on. Both of the PTT seem to be keying just fine.

Tech said the following in an email when he had just finished it.

88F3BB9E-6F5A-4323-962A-87224F2F6E7A.jpeg

Can a bad element cause this sporadic issue?? I did get it to swing a couple times.

Tech has just suggested removing the back plate in case the tape worn through. Which doesn't seem to make any difference.

The mic is looking great. But not working worth a darn.

83C976D7-7B05-4C14-8253-AAF403808114.jpeg

Reactions: Redbeard U812

Can you try a different head from another D104?

No other head. The mic came with a normal 104 head (non eagle). I then got a Night Eagle head and Silver Eagle rear plate as part of my project. Currently just want this to work.

I'd have no issue shipping it out to someone with knowledge and even letting them do the new element mod I've seen online. I just want this to work.

I’ve had that happen to the same black head on my knight eagle They put a glued on pad in there to keep the element tight. But they glue the pad right on the element wires after so many years it breaks downs somehow and the glue becomes conductive and the pad gets soft and looks like it is full of moisture or something or oil or liquidy took off the Pad cleaned it up. And. Bingo it works

I’ve had that happen to the same black head on my knight eagle They put a glued on pad in there to keep the element tight. But they glue the pad right on the element wires after so many years it breaks downs somehow and the glue becomes conductive and the pad gets soft and looks like it is full of moisture or something or oil or liquidy took off the Pad cleaned it up. And. Bingo it works

Here's what's under the tape.

8314F48B-1AA5-4B99-BADB-7127DCA25AA7.jpeg

Why didn't he just use a couple of "mica insulator tabs" from old TO-220's? Gives you room and clearance plus the Mica works better than tape...

• Thread the wire thru the hole of the tab, then solder wire to the mic contact...
  • then reposition the Tab, with the hole on the insulated portion of the wire
  • - then press down so the MICA tab surface rests on the contact soldering point COVERING the contacts so they don't short to the back case.
  • He may also need to realize these things do have a polarity - you may need to swap the wires to find the proper polarity to meet the amplifiers' needed polarity in the base...
SIGH...

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.