• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

nitro knob install question

Krazzy-K

Dec 8, 2010
Centerton Arkansas
was wondering if anybody could help me. i just recently bought some nitro knobs(blue). have talked to other cb hobbyist. the results are split down the middle some like them some dislike them. but the hobbyist that liked me have advised me to get them on a dimmer switch. now that being said, i have a Galaxy 959 DX with all the bells and whistles. was wondering if i could tap into the dimmer control knob circuit. if so dose anybody have schematics of the internal workings of this radio. any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
73's

LEDs are going to be a little difficult to dim correctly. Last time I put nitro knobs on a radio, though, I installed them on a toggle switch so that I could shut them off when I wanted to.

My personal opinion of nitro knobs is they are cool when you have someone you're trying to impress with your radio. The rest of the time they are too bright and interfere with your nighttime driving.

The LED is easily dimmed just by reducing the forward current through the junction. If the diode is rated at 20ma typical, reducing the voltage so that it only draws 10ma will reduce the brilliance by about four times. To simplify things, try doubling the value of the original resistor suggested for use with the LED in the 12 volt application. You may be able to tap into the radios dimmer circuit however, it my not be able to supply the current to all of the extra LEDs.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.