• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No Ground

stingray

Dec 12, 2008
I have NEVER grounded any of my base antennas. I have always had quality aluminum ground planes and have talked all over the world. Always had good swr and never had noise issues. what am i missing by not being grounded?
If lightning hits you better have a PRIMO ground system. most grounds guys run will still get their stuff fried. so besides any kind of safety what am i missing by not being grounded???

Less static noise and better transmit. It is not just an elective; but proper station setup/protocol. That doesn't mean it won't work as you have done (obviously); but it means that you can still realize making it more efficient still.

Hams are instructed to unplug all of their gear from their AC power if an electrical storm is approaching. This also means to disconnect the coax or ladder line from the radio as well. It is important to know this if one live in an area frequented with electrical storms. Forget about lightning arrestors; we are talking about 250,000+ AMPS of electrical static discharge. Lightning arrestors are pure snake oil -IMO. Talk about a sense of false security - that would be it!
But what do I know?
I am just a lowly storm chaser/spotter with the National Weather Service...

Last edited:
I have NEVER grounded any of my base antennas. I have always had quality aluminum ground planes and have talked all over the world. Always had good swr and never had noise issues. what am i missing by not being grounded?
If lightning hits you better have a PRIMO ground system. most grounds guys run will still get their stuff fried. so besides any kind of safety what am i missing by not being grounded???
Unless your antenna is sitting on a wooden stick it is grounded through it's mounting pole/tower.

You are missing nothing except protection in the event of a strike and possibly a tiny amount of strike prevention.

Most hammy ground schemes are much more dangerous than no ground connection at all.

All grounds must be bonded together with a low inductance connection to be effective during a strike. Otherwise thousands of volts can appear between an innocent little ground rod and the house service ground.

You are missing nothing except protection in the event of a strike and possibly a tiny amount of strike prevention.

Most hammy ground schemes are much more dangerous than no ground connection at all.

truth

The safety ground may be something you'd want to think about. As far as RF grounding is concerned, unless you use an antenna with some type of matching coil at the base (which in effect makes the antenna 'grounded') there really isn't anything significant that you are missing. So, if your antenna is mounted on a metal pole, and if you really do ground the pole adequately, I'd figure you're getting about as much as you ever will.
There are ways of grounding your feed line (center and braid conductors) before entering your home and I think that's a pretty good idea. There are several ways of doing that, some much better than others. I'd suggest checking into that. The best method as far as I'm concerned is the way commercial broadcast stations do it, an inductive ground. That can get sort of 'finicky' depending on the band(s) of use so won't try to explain that.
Have fun.
- 'Doc
------

"Most hammy ground schemes are much more dangerous than no ground connection at all."

Only if done wrong, and that's certainly not limited to just us 'hammies'.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Last edited by Rob KI6USW; 12-17-2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: sp"

WTF???? Now mods are editing people's post because of spelling errors?

"Last edited by Rob KI6USW; 12-17-2009 at 12:21 AM. Reason: sp"

WTF???? Now mods are editing people's post because of spelling errors?

Glad someone noticed and said something.
Explination to follow:
The origan phrase said "letal pole" instead of "metal pole". It was just a simple spelling error in another very nice piece by 'Doc' that I thought could use one, small correction.
Still mind?

I'll change it back if you like...

Unless your antenna is sitting on a wooden stick it is grounded through it's mounting pole/tower.
it is def not on a wooden stick. it is on on tripod on a roof. metal mast. it is not grounded. i do not have a ground wire fron the tripod or mast to ground.
so its not grounded through its mounting pole/tower.

Rob,
No need to change it, I can use the spelling help. You wanna do all of my corrections? Please?? That'd mean I wouldn't have to! How about if I whine, snivel and cry?
- 'Doc

I think I'm wasting my time. RATS!

Not all metal masts are grounded. Mine are usually in a tripod on my shingle roof. Even a metal mast against a house just sitting on top of the ground isn't grounded.

Ah...but we like to beat upon deceased hooven creatures here. Sigh

I have never taken any special steps to ground my antennas either, and have never had any problems. Tried it a few times long ago to see if there was any dif in the performance. Never noticed any either. I work in the marine trades, and one day a thunder storm came up while I was sitting in the pilothouse of one of my customers boats at the dock. The building on shore was app. 75-100 feet from me with a well grounded VHF antenna at about 20'. ( It was actually low compared to the trees and masts all around it). When the strike hit it the hair on my body stood up and I couldnt hear much for a couple of hours.LOL. The antenna came down like snowflakes all over the marina that day. took out the alarm system, radios and computer equipment, too!

PR

Not all metal masts are grounded. Mine are usually in a tripod on my shingle roof. Even a metal mast against a house just sitting on top of the ground isn't grounded.

Ah...but we like to beat upon deceased hooven creatures here. Sigh
But I never mentioned a tripod now did I? and most people don't stand poles or towers on their roofs now do they? now go cry somewhere about this why don't you?

Wow...what an opinion

Have had some good grounding setups in the past and never perceived any difference.

If one suffers a direct lightning strike, nothing in the residential scheme of things is going to offer you any protection. You antenna will be itty bitty antenna bits scattered around the yard. Only mostly safe gear protection there is is to disconnect coax and power from gear and isolate the leads...... preferably getting the coax outside.

Most of my stations, including present one, is ungrounded. Never have any problems
Well, as a new Ham and an old CBer; I an only speak of what I know firsthand. What I've heard after helping setting up a few friends base stations, some of them have benefited from grounding their system. I could hear and audible difference, and some of SWR's had also decreased slightly. Mine included. It is a sound electrical practice to ground. I'm not trying to blow smoke up anybodies tail pipe by disseminating this info, as much as I am passing on what is a solid Ham practice and that which has been passed to me directly...

Grounding a system has been impressed upon me, through all of my various readings over the past year. Even as I continue to study. Ham radio has many disciplines; one of which is to take heed of sound electrical procedures. Another is take heed to those who have been in this quasi-society for some time. You have been a Ham longer than I have, so I'm sure you know better.

Much of the Ham study material presents the info on the grounding of base station and mobile setups. But in the mean time; I am going to continue to do it that way, as it makes the most sense as well as just being practical. Ham procedures also dictate that it is best to disconnect all equipment when an electrical storm is approaching. In fact, it is one of the questions on the test, as I recall from that recent event. So if asked; it is my responsibility to pass on all of those things I have been taught. To Elmer others, as I have been Elmer-ed by all of you...

AS far as I know, both WireWeasel and Mackmobile have helped me and others on this forum. Petty differences and personal conflicts goes nowhere and does nothing for no one. So refrain from these personal sniping and let's get back to talk radio. I would personally appreciate it very much.

Thank You
Rob KI6USW

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    Hamvention this Weekend!!!!~ See link above
  • @ nomadradio:
    Hello from Dayton. Well, okay. Kettering.
  • @ ShadowDelaware:
    Wow I did not know this was here until just now
  • @ c316buckeye:
    no conditions in ohio