• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

No new HF mobiles. Same old same old

You can say that again. Way over priced. Not a viable portable radio with the receive current draw on par with a radio suitable for the shack.
no matter the radio brand or type,we paid more for radios in the 70's-80's but the quality was better. Look how many old radios still work. I sent 1 of my ftm 7250 back to yaesu last week. Less than 6 months old.had trouble with both of them.
Mics went bad,actually it is the ssloppy connecter.
Bought a cheep knockoff mic ,it fits very tight,works better than oem,im running mic gain very low and everybody says it carrys my voice very good.
Plus i despise menues and no squelch knobs

no matter the radio brand or type,we paid more for radios in the 70's-80's but the quality was better. Look how many old radios still work. I sent 1 of my ftm 7250 back to yaesu last week. Less than 6 months old.had trouble with both of them.
Mics went bad,actually it is the ssloppy connecter.
Bought a cheep knockoff mic ,it fits very tight,works better than oem,im running mic gain very low and everybody says it carrys my voice very good.
Plus i despise menues and no squelch knobs

With some exceptions, seems to be that way across the board.

Reactions: Rwb and binrat
With some exceptions, seems to be that way across the board.

yep,cb to ham dont matter same smt cheep low quality slam em together n sell em,now n then qc slaps an inspected sticker on 1

FM mobiles are pretty much all made in China now. In the '90s, the FT-2400 and later FT-2500 were made in Japan. But they cost $300 bucks. A single band HT was $200.
Now I mostly use second-hand Kenwood commercial radios for my FM mobile and portable needs.

A low power AM/SSB radio from a 1974 flyer was advertised at $349.00 in a post recently made.

That’s (via conversion calculator) $1,800 today.

A $1,600 Icom-705 doesn’t look so bad, then.

But, as wages were disconnected from per capita productivity at that time (gold standard discontinuance) the $70k/year job of today SHOULD pay $175,000.

Slave labor & credit cards are the only real reasons for today’s affordability.

A low power AM/SSB radio from a 1974 flyer was advertised at $349.00 in a post recently made.

That’s (via conversion calculator) $1,800 today.

A $1,600 Icom-705 doesn’t look so bad, then.

But, as wages were disconnected from per capita productivity at that time (gold standard discontinuance) the $70k/year job of today SHOULD pay $175,000.

Slave labor & credit cards are the only real reasons for today’s affordability.

im cash only kinda guy, cant pay cash,dont need it. I aint payin double or more back in intrest when i put cash in savings n cant get 1% return but banks n other loan sharks use it n get thilthy rich

Last edited:
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
Inflation is the big boys cut.
Interest is for the locals.

An American is an ATM.
(Now with a handiwipe cloth attached).

dont forget the scrap of table cloth over the face that retains bad stuff a bit then lets er fly on everbody

Reactions: Slowmover
I use a ft891 for portable or what not. Its ok if you have everything setup already. Not like the easy to use 857d or ic706 series.
I set it up in the bedroom sometimes otherwise i operate big radios In the shack. Its good for ft8 or whatever.
I also own a xiegu G90 20w sdr radio with built in tuner. Its great but i wouldn't run it mobile since it gets warm too easily.
891 sounds great on ssb ive worked one mobile he was using the atas antenna on 40m. Heres some comparison pics
20200627_022220.jpg

20200626_200846.jpg
20200629_173704.jpg
20200702_081937.jpg

I use a ft891 for portable or what not. Its ok if you have everything setup already. Not like the easy to use 857d or ic706 series.
I set it up in the bedroom sometimes otherwise i operate big radios In the shack. Its good for ft8 or whatever.
I also own a xiegu G90 20w sdr radio with built in tuner. Its great but i wouldn't run it mobile since it gets warm too easily.
891 sounds great on ssb ive worked one mobile he was using the atas antenna on 40m. Heres some comparison picsView attachment 39360
View attachment 39357 View attachment 39358 View attachment 39359

I currently have an 891. I sold my G90 few months back. The 891 is a fine mobile radio. The display is big and bright. I'm on my 4th 891.

Nice. I dont like how hot the g90 gets. But this is the 3rd 891 i have had. This one a guy blew up the keying circuit and the ipo attenuator. I fixed it. Traded a original plain 706 for it. I've gotten used to it. The first 2 i sold

Reactions: Mudfoot

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?