1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice

No new HF mobiles. Same old same old

Discussion in 'Ham Equipment' started by Mudfoot, May 21, 2020.

1. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

The Yaesu is the one I would buy, if I were in the market for a new one.
    Actually I would probably look at the Alinco SR8 as well.

2. Mudfoot

Mudfoot Elmer

That's what I'm running mobile. It's a great rig.

Rwb and WECSOG like this.
  3. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

for what its worth,my next new radio WONT have yaesu on it. My yaesu luck isnt too spactacular

WECSOG and binrat like this.
  4. binrat

binrat WDX Club Coordinator
    Staff Member

Want to buy a slightly used FT3D??

Rwb likes this.
  5. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

nope,wanna buy 2 like new ftm 7250 dr with original boxes all accessorys like new?

6. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

Mine is, but I haven't bought one in 20 years. Back then Yaesu was far above all the others in every respect. I managed a radio store that carried all the major brands. I've had my FT-840 and some other Yaesus, Alinco DX-70 and a couple of Ten-Tecs since the '90s and they all still work. Another major brand (that I won't name because it's one of the top three) had radios with known issues that they ignored and continued to produce, and then had poor customer service to boot.
    The other of the top three made decent radios and even gave us (sales staff and management) free radios for our personal use. I do like that particular brand, but Yaesu was better in every respect.
    Alinco deserves mention. They were a smaller company and somewhat second-tier. They didn't hear as well as a Yaesu, nor were they generally as user-friendly. But their durability was second to none, as was their customer service. I have my DX-70, a DJ-F1 2M HT, a DR-570 and two DR-605s, and they all still work fine.

The only HF radios I've had and operated that outperform Yaesus from that time are Ten-Tecs. But they're ham bands only; no general coverage receive on those. Not saying TT didn't make any rigs with general coverage, but I never operated one that did.
    Moot point anyway. TT has been in and out of business a few times since then. I'm not sure if they exist any more or not, but the original company is long gone.

Slowmover and Rwb like this.
  7. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

binrat and Rwb like this.
  8. Rwb

Rwb Sr. Member

older yaesu,yes quality,new yaesu built in the land of almost right
    Old radioshack htx 212 just keeps a tickin takin a beating

WECSOG likes this.
  9. binrat

Staff Member

Absolutely love my KX2. Been using it portable since they came out. Over 150 SOTA activations with it. Put an amp behind it and is really good.

10. Slowmover

Slowmover Sr. Member

Icom-705 $1,600 (from U.K)

binrat, Rwb and WECSOG like this.
  11. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

I probably should get an Elecraft at some point. I've met and talked with both Wayne and Eric, and they build a good product. I have a couple of Wayne's pre-Elecraft products too; the Wilderness SST and the Norcal 40A.
    The KX2 looks like it would fit the way I operate.

12. w9cll

w9cll W9WDX Amateur Radio Club Member

Wow not even close to worth it.

13. binrat

Staff Member

You can say that again. Way over priced. Not a viable portable radio with the receive current draw on par with a radio suitable for the shack.

14. WECSOG

WECSOG Well-Known Member

Agreed. I would much rather spend that money on a KX2 or -3. In fact earlier today I had a KX2 pack in my cart along with some accessories beyond what the pack comes with, and hovering over the "Order" button.
    I decided to hold off for now. But I'm still thinking about it.

Rwb and Slowmover like this.
  15. binrat

Staff Member

You should have. I doubt no buyers remorse at all once you play with it.
    I'm headed back out to the mountains tomorrow. Normally operating on 14.343(-+) around 1700-1800Z with the KX2. Somedays with a MX-50P amp into an inverted V. I think tomorrow maybe just KX2 at 12 watts into an EFHW at about 12' in the trees.