• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noise difference on SSB vs AM

Facepalm_%284254919655%29.jpg

A man of few words, OP. He’s direct. I bookmark his comments regularly.

Your further reading will take you down a lane of imagination. Highly recommended for the soul. Soul = Mind & Body in synchronization.

It just looks like technical writing. Consider the lilies of the field . . . .

And contributor Handy Andy is flat master of that incongruity.

I watched several Youtube videos of installation of the PT99 antenna; and I don't remember seeing any of the installations showing or suggesting installing any "balum chokes" on the linefeed for this antenna. And I don't remember reading any reviews of the antenna saying that a choke is suggested or required for installation in any particular location. So I am at a loss.
That's because 99.99% CBers have no clue what kind of antenna they have, how it works and how interacts with transmission line, mast, surroundings etc. Mike

Last edited:
Stop by for lunch at Mi Tierra (with pics of your meal, irritate Redbeard, Riverman, me, Eldorado and other Texans not there to join in)

That's enough Slowmover. You know there ain't chit down here to call good Mex food, so you rub it in. Just other day my daughter said I needed to move closer because none of her friends liked Mex food. She was goading me into taking her and the babies to Luna's in Baytown. Darn both of you. :)

99% of cb antenna makers don't have a clue about cmc & noise on the mast / coax either.
little wonder people just slap them on a mast and get talking, the information is out there, its no secret outside of cb radio circles.

I agree with the coax chokes and balluns. Also good quality coax with better sheilding like RG8U, 213, LMR400 etc. wouldn't hurt either. Don't know what your using now, but the for mentioned coax would be a wise investment.

Reactions: Slowmover and sp5it
I agree with the coax chokes and balluns. Also good quality coax with better sheilding like RG8U, 213, LMR400 etc. wouldn't hurt either. Don't know what your using now, but the for mentioned coax would be a wise investment.
I feel as if the correct antenna was used one would not need to add chokes and balauns.
As far as Galaxy upgrading the 959dx in newer models I couldn't say. All I know is thats not the radio for me. Looked nice but didnt perform for me.
Be careful of all the performance sounding "modifications" as most are pure bs, nothing more than a sale.
Welcome back to the hobby BUT be very very careful. This hobby is full of snake oil sellers.

Reactions: Slowmover
I feel as if the correct antenna was used one would not need to add chokes and balauns.
As far as Galaxy upgrading the 959dx in newer models I couldn't say. All I know is thats not the radio for me. Looked nice but didnt perform for me.
Be careful of all the performance sounding "modifications" as most are pure bs, nothing more than a sale.
Welcome back to the hobby BUT be very very careful. This hobby is full of snake oil sellers.

As a simple coax choke is winding some turns around pvc pipe, it’s easy to prove to one’s self whether or not effective. Find an example, and copy.

On RV forums I’ve beaten my forehead flat getting others to understand how a weight distribution hitch works. But they continue to insist that advertising copy by vehicle manufacturers has primacy.

Wild claims of liability where none apply per their “understanding “. Worried over what was solved a half-century ago and ignoring the statistically-valid primary & secondary causes of loss-of-control accidents.

Worried about the irrelevancy of slowing while going upgrade. Ignoring the awesome dangers while downgrade.

Thus, wrong premise produces disappointment. Every time.

Thus, acquire real numbers (weight scale in that example) and adjust to parameters nailed down circa 1967. Test. Refine. Record.

Leverage. Not rocket science. No one is quoting Maxwells equations.

What, “is”, is only thru test. Readings.

The acid test there is that the combination rig of family car and travel trailer WILL stop faster than the tow vehicle once unhitched.
Doesn’t? Back to acquired numbers.

I’ve come of late to understand that low-T readings in men must produce this phenomenon. Like women or children, someone else must take the blame for their errors.

“Injured or killed!?
Call Bulldog Law Firm
and get what YOU deserve!”

On this forum I don’t know squat. But there are those who do. First order of business is to start reading. One thing leads to another. Some voices are to be bookmarked. “Tested”. Others in the same boat produce recognition. And can crack me up. Yup. I did that, too.

I wasn't trying to be rude or shoot down your radio, I was just telling what my personal experience was owning and operating the 959dx radio. I too learn from reading and I also learn from my mistakes and after seeing an open 959 along side other Galaxy radios I learned I had made a mistake buying that particular model. Had I done a little more reading I wouldve chosen something better.
Im glad youre having good luck with your 959, many others didnt. Its a very nice looking radio, it just didnt perform for me.
Im of the mindset now that its better to run a ham quality radio with 11m/27mhz than it is to add frequencies to a cb quality radio.
30 years in the hobby and im still learning lol.

As a simple coax choke is winding some turns around pvc pipe, it’s easy to prove to one’s self whether or not effective. Find an example, and copy.

On RV forums I’ve beaten my forehead flat getting others to understand how a weight distribution hitch works. But they continue to insist that advertising copy by vehicle manufacturers has primacy.

Wild claims of liability where none apply per their “understanding “. Worried over what was solved a half-century ago and ignoring the statistically-valid primary & secondary causes of loss-of-control accidents.

Worried about the irrelevancy of slowing while going upgrade. Ignoring the awesome dangers while downgrade.

Thus, wrong premise produces disappointment. Every time.

Thus, acquire real numbers (weight scale in that example) and adjust to parameters nailed down circa 1967. Test. Refine. Record.

Leverage. Not rocket science. No one is quoting Maxwells equations.

What, “is”, is only thru test. Readings.

The acid test there is that the combination rig of family car and travel trailer WILL stop faster than the tow vehicle once unhitched.
Doesn’t? Back to acquired numbers.

I’ve come of late to understand that low-T readings in men must produce this phenomenon. Like women or children, someone else must take the blame for their errors.

“Injured or killed!?
Call Bulldog Law Firm
and get what YOU deserve!”

On this forum I don’t know squat. But there are those who do. First order of business is to start reading. One thing leads to another. Some voices are to be bookmarked. “Tested”. Others in the same boat produce recognition. And can crack me up. Yup. I did that, too.
Just love these ramblings (y), couldn't agree more with the towing. I'm a fulltimer, weight distribution, towed vehicle weight to the vehicle doing the towing weight. Torque and HP.....most of all BREAKING!:eek:
Just gotta laugh at a Tundra pulling a dual axle trailer weighing 5 tons, that's 10,000 lbs. for those unfamiliar with a ton. The vehicle usually sags in the ass, hitch and front of trailer nose down, dragging safety chains (throwing sparks), and chains not crossed. God forbid, they have set, or much less know how to use trailer breaks.

As far as chokes go, they serve a purpose, but that's exactly what they do.......Choke.Though they reduce the feedback they choke output also. If you have to use them do so, kind of like an antenna tuner (if you HAVE to use it to get your match).

Reflections is a great read, ARRL has good information. Read and apply.

Reactions: 2NC995
Just love these ramblings (y), couldn't agree more with the towing. I'm a fulltimer, weight distribution, towed vehicle weight to the vehicle doing the towing weight. Torque and HP.....most of all BREAKING!:eek:
Just gotta laugh at a Tundra pulling a dual axle trailer weighing 5 tons, that's 10,000 lbs. for those unfamiliar with a ton. The vehicle usually sags in the ass, hitch and front of trailer nose down, dragging safety chains (throwing sparks), and chains not crossed. God forbid, they have set, or much less know how to use trailer breaks.

Little to no DOT around here. Not sure I’ve seen a set of scales on side of the road in the past 20 years.

Locals get away with anything. ANYTHING.

Brakes? Yeah sometimes. Fact is you’re lucky if they know how to properly bind a load. Most don’t. Those that do don’t seem to care.

Worked in related fields enough to know that anyone can be thrown in a truck...sometimes lacking a CDL, sometimes lacking even a normal license. And sometimes, or even often, drunk or high.

Point is...when you see that guy hauling four pallets of sod and a Bobcat 773 with his F150.. don’t assume the magnetic sign on the drivers door means he knows what he is doing!!

coaxial chokes only choke common mode & noise flowing on the outside of the coax,
they have no choking effect on the signal traveling inside your coax,

chokes can serve a purpose when you have cmc and or noise issues,
chokes can help reduce noise picked up on the outside of the coax,
they can help minimise cmc flowing on the outside of your coax that spoils your radiation pattern wasting more of your rf at high angles warming the clouds,

"Can we end-feed a halfwave antenna, or end-feed any antenna, without a ground or counterpoise?"

http://www.w8ji.com/end-fed_vertical_j-pole_and_horizontal_zepp.htm

Just getting back into CBing , after almost 50 years, since early '70s. Use to be just a mobile user with a Realistic TRC 448, 40 chl, and talked "skip" all over, from down in the Alamo City.
Now I'm using a mobile Galaxy DX959 as a base station with a Proton 99 antenna and a
Twinpoint B-100 SATURN 39" low profile base antenna. Both antennas are mounted aprox 28'-32' high.

I never really got into SSB back in the 70's before I was transferred overseas in the military. Now I am trying a little SSB. My concern is the difference in the noise level on LSB/USB vs AM. When using my PROTON 99, I am use to the regular type of noise while on AM, but when I switch to LSB or USB I get a loud "crackly" noise (almost like snap, crackle, pop). Almost like an engine/motor running; but nothing is running, and it is on all channels. Switch back to AM and it's just the regular channel static noise. But when I'm using my SATURN B-100, the noise is basically just the regular channel sound. I can hear a slight crackly noise, but very slight.

I'm wondering, if it might be from where I've run my RG58 cable thru the outside wall into my house. My cable goes thru the wall, about 2' from where the main elec power comes up from the ground and into to outside pwr box.

Any ideas?

WELL GUYS,
Someone suggested on one of the Forums I'm monitoring, to disconnect the power supply and hook up a battery to the radio to see if the noise is still there. If the noise is gone while on the battery, then the noise problem while using the the 110v pwr supply, is actually the electrically power coming into the house.
Well I actually hooked the radio up in my car with a mag mount antenna. Sitting in my driveway I still had the noise but somewhat lighter.
When I got out onto the high way the crackling noise is basically gone. But when I drove back into my housing area I started to get the crackling noise back on the SSB signal. Driving back in front of my house and into the driveway, the crackling noise became extremely loud again.
(Our complete subdivision has under ground power lines, and I have a large above ground power distribution transformer box in my front yard about 20-25ft from my house and my radio room.)
Now that I have an idea of what is causing the noise, what can I try to possibly eliminate some of it? Or do I just live with it.? Is this where the Balum Chokes might work?

Reactions: Dmans
TXriverRat,
Contact your power company and explain the issue to them. I had a very similar experience last year and with a 980SSB mounted on my Golf Cart I found some (2) noisy security lights in the neighborhood. I knew the general area from my house (east when turning the beam that direction), so I met the "RF Technician" told him of my findings and they replaced 3 of the neighborhood security lights with LED lights. He said the 3rd light did not meet their standards.
Your power company should have an "RF Expert" they can dispatch to find and repair the problem.

Good Luck
David

(Our complete subdivision has under ground power lines, and I have a large above ground power distribution transformer box in my front yard about 20-25ft from my house and my radio room.)

Well that changes things a LOT. Chances are there may be a bad insulator on that transformer that maybe arcing. I have seen bad insulators on poles do what you are saying many times. That kind of interference is radiated just like any other RF signal and has to be cured at the source. Time to contact the power company.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.