• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Noise

It's why many antennas use a DC shunt - makes a good RFI trap for noises entering into the antenna from broad banded sources - including their new 5G tower "cap" setups that provide local short range coverage in neighborhoods.

IF you got time, might want to take a short drive around the neighborhood with your cars' AM radio tuned to a distant station (or CB) - so the noise emanating from the source can be located by listening for the "blanking" or washing out of the weaker distant signal overcome by the emissions of this new device

sp5it and handy andy are in the know. try what they say

Reactions: nicky
Yes, coax pick noise too.
I would use choke balun at antenna feed point and another where coax enter you house/garage etc.
Also I advise to insulate antenna from a mast (if conductive).
Mike
I did call the power company and told them I thought I was getting noise from the power lines. They said they would notify our local repair crew and have them check it out. We will see what happens.
I will have to check out a balun.... and yes the the mast is conductive and the coax is zip tied to it. I may not get that done till spring as the weather is getting to cold to be working outside for an old guy like me.
Thank you so much Mike

Reactions: Holydvr and Rwb
It's why many antennas use a DC shunt - makes a good RFI trap for noises entering into the antenna from broad banded sources - including their new 5G tower "cap" setups that provide local short range coverage in neighborhoods.

IF you got time, might want to take a short drive around the neighborhood with your cars' AM radio tuned to a distant station (or CB) - so the noise emanating from the source can be located by listening for the "blanking" or washing out of the weaker distant signal overcome by the emissions of this new device
I will try that. Thank you much

Reactions: Rwb
Noise can come from powerline, powerline transformer on the pole, etc.

A few months ago I had s9 of noise from 10 to 54 MHz.
Powerline acted as transmit antenna, failure was located over 300m away - defective powerline insulator. We found that with small AM radio Sony 7600g and diy frame antenna.
Mike
I contacted the power company and a guy came out yesterday.. He looked at the insulators from his bucket lift and really couldn't see anything he said. He checked the records and found out the pole in front of our house was installed in 1965. He said the porcelain insulators were the old type that haden't been used for years. He was going to put in a repair request but it may not get done till spring when the weather is better. Now we wait and see

Nicky,

By turning off everything did you actually flip off your main breaker? Also power line noise is pretty easy to diagnose. If you have an AM radio with a little ferrite bar antenna even better.

I'd say your still at square one. Can you confirm that you actually cut your breaker off?

Also if that passes, then its something external from your home. I've seen little battery trickle chargers that people use on lawn mowers and ATVs during off season cause problems.

To track these down you can do something simple like using a portable CB and do things like use your body as an attenuator to block the signal to get a bearing. When you get close you can collapse the antenna or even better if you can disconnect it you could make up a little pick-up loop on a BNC to find the offender.

Still trying different things to track down the noise. I did hook the radio up to a battery and turned off the main breaker and the noise was still the same. I did notice one thing that puzzled me ; I have two radios that I can use on the same antenna. A Uniden 980 and a Anytone AT6666. The 6666 is about 1 Db or so higher than the 980. Difference in radios maybe.
The noise lately has been between 7 and 8 Db

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated