• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not AMPOWER but

It's sad to see someone with such a limited grasp on RF amplifier design selling this equipment to unsuspecting buyers. It's obvious why Wizard does not make all band HF amps because he's just barely able to get one to produce output on a CB. I've seen at least a half dozen of these Wizard boxes and can usually spot more problems in just the RF deck then there are parts used in it.

The Wizard boxes I've seen were both dangerous to the user and had countless instances of poor RF layout. Only the bare essentials required to make power are used, many improperly. Nothing has been added for safety, protection, or true linear operation. If you aren't satisfied with the limitations of quality amateur amplifiers and your budget is big, consider Amplifier Systems in Los Angeles.

Having built many amps over the last 25 years I can say ASI makes one top notch RF amplifier. Every unit is custom built based on the output requirements. Starting around $12,500 for a real HF all band 3CX,6000A7 you won't find any flaws in these units. At least you can still buy something big, built well in the USA. As a side note, they will not knowingly build one for 11 meter CB use......since Prime :)

Not that I am defending Wizard built in any way however, after watching OH2FFY's you tube video I spot at least two things that are not correct. The Bird 43P with the peak reading kit measures AM power peaks very well. It is easy to see the peaks and confirm them on the scope at 4 times the carrier for 100% modulation into a 50 ohm load. Without the peak kit the Bird is not able to measure anything other then CW accurately.

The 3CX3000A7 can absolutely produce over 10 KW PEP. Eimac's power ratings are very conservative and are not under ideal conditions. If you disregard the maximum plate voltage you can easily obtain more power for ICS duty. The fact you can't find a well built commercial unit running the tube at 10 KW does not indicate the tube won't produce the power at the cost of tube life.

Shock I do agree with you and what your saying I guess its how far one digs into it or who we talk to. The tube rating are pretty good as so is the tube but pricey and we all know you get what you pay for.

Unfortunately in this world there is so much smoke and mirrors shows presented for one to sell a product I personally would stay with my Ameritrons Heathkit ETC but these are a different purpose amplifier hf bands and filtering I wouldnt even mind a nice Alpha oneday.

Something must have happen or some B.S. stirred somewhere between these 2 fellas. But to use some guys call sign to sell an ilegal amplifier is reallygetting desperate and not a smart idea. That would be like me when selling one of our sportscars saying yeah this belong to Dale junior and was tuned by his mechanic for maximum performance.

All in all I actually get a good chuckle out of some of the amplifiers built and what the manufactures or builders claims are we learn alot of these formulas for figuring amp draw power ETC before were licensed operators or while we are studying to be one not saying this builder in question is way off on output capabilities but the construction would be where your end result is.

I would like a bird meter and passed a few up at good deals I just get mixed feelings and responses from people on the meters if you have one you use Ide like to call you and ask you a few questions before I purchase one if you dont mind?

I commented over at rednecks, someone was thinking of buying a Wizardbuilt. He claims 3100 watts from a 120v, 15amp house circuit. I posted right from Alpha ,where they say not to expect 1500 watts from 120 x 15 amp. His videos were quite funny. While pointing out the Bird, if you looked at the plate voltage, you can see it drop an awfull lot. .It looked like about a 25% voltage drop on the supply.
Rich

Thats like my house We have 100 amp service and I often wonder what I can honestly run safely as far a san amplifier on the 110V outlets. I want a new AC amp but need to be sure Im not over doing it as far as power draw at 110 volts I would think atleast 1000 watt amplifier would be safe

Last edited:
Thats like my hpouse We have 100 amp service and I often wonder what I can honestly run safely as far a san amplifier on the 110V outlets. I want a new AC amp but need to be sure Im not over doing it as far as power draw at 110 volts I would think atleast 1000 watt amplifier would be safe

120 volts times 15 amps is 1800 watts of INPUT power. Figure 50% eff and you have 900 watts OUTPUT as a max before popping a breaker. You might get a bit more on SSB with voice peaks but not much. The big problem is line voltage sagging. Big power needs 220 volts.

I don't know exactly why the "bloke" has such a woody for CB and CB operators and amp builders in general, but I will give him credit for being thorough.

I particularly like the fact that he points out that the WWW is not as anonymous as most people think.

Every time you are out there on the mighty and magnificent WWW, you leave an electronic signature, electronic finger prints and electronic foot prints all over the place.

Im just going to put a damn 220 line in and get it over with I do ok on 75 meters with 600-800 watts butv there are times I wish I had legal lmit.

I got lucky here. I just rent a room, but in the basement directly under my window, is an unused 220 dryer plug. Went to Home Depot and made up a 10/3 extension cord for my amps.30 amps per side.
Rich

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.