• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not AMPOWER but

Every time you are out there on the mighty and magnificent WWW, you leave an electronic signature, electronic finger prints and electronic foot prints all over the place.

Very true but when you start impersonating someone else that can be easily contacted, particularly an 80-something year old ham operator...well you can't be all that bright to begin with. I've done some really dumb crap but this one just amazes me.

Very true but when you start impersonating someone else that can be easily contacted, particularly an 80-something year old ham operator...well you can't be all that bright to begin with. I've done some really dumb crap but this one just amazes me.

That goes without saying. I am not licensed at this time, but used to be.
If I was and someone started posting my call sign around and pretending to be me, you can be damn sure I would go after them with everything I could muster up.

On that point, I would not disagree agreeably, I would be pissed. :mad:

I don't see much difference in that than if I joined any radio forum you are not a member of as GLR and started making an ass out of myself.

Some things just are not done.

The funny thing is I don't see or hear about any actual Wizard Built product owner whining about his product not working as advertised. hmmmm..... Sound like an Angry old Ham crying to me.... Can you image what would happen if Joe CBer dropped $6K for a Wizard Built and it does not do the advertised watts on the Bird.... also keep in mind Wizard has been building for for more than a few years now. :bdh:

The funny thing is I don't see or hear about any actual Wizard Built product owner whining about his product not working as advertised. hmmmm..... Sound like an Angry old Ham crying to me.... Can you image what would happen if Joe CBer dropped $6K for a Wizard Built and it does not do the advertised watts on the Bird.... also keep in mind Wizard has been building for for more than a few years now. :bdh:

All of this has NOTHING to do with the legal issues that were mentioned in the videos. Wizard claims he makes the amps for hams but it is CLEARLY against the law for him to do even that.We won't even get into the legal issues of impersonating another individual to make your point. :headbang

whew his amps are expensive sure wish i had the money to spend on one
im kinda jealous

Maybe you're not asking the right people.

Just because people buy it doesn't mean its proper.

Wizard fills a niche market. The aspiring cb'er who has internet access. His products sell because he OFFERS THEM FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE on youtube and on a website anyone can log onto.

There are lots of better amp builders out there. Not that he's the worst.. he's just not the best. I would say he is building ac boxes for the majority. The guy who wants to purchase a 6kw amplifier and not leave his computer room. In this way he has heard the call and answered it.

Maybe you're not asking the right people.

Just because people buy it doesn't mean its proper.

Wizard fills a niche market. The aspiring cb'er who has internet access. His products sell because he OFFERS THEM FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE on youtube and on a website anyone can log onto.

There are lots of better amp builders out there. Not that he's the worst.. he's just not the best. I would say he is building ac boxes for the majority. The guy who wants to purchase a 6kw amplifier and not leave his computer room. In this way he has heard the call and answered it.

Greg, would you please elaborate on the statement that I highlighted in bold; numbers and names, maybe even a List of the "Top Ten" builders of amplifers powered by alternating current.

What makes a builder good or bad, what are the criteria that he or she is rated on?

A "friend-of-a-friend" here locally owns an amplifier built by "Wizard" and, he has no complaints from initial contact through to his current usage.

A couple of years ago, Chris (NomadRadio) made the point that it is better to be the person in the position to fix those large boxes after they go, "POW" than to be the builder of the boxes that will go "POW".

Yes, there is "Glory" received when you hear your name being recognized on the airwaves by someone using the equipment that you built but, it comes with a huge liability.

Paws. I will clarify myself to you in a PM. the statement I made is as much as I want to say publicly since I have no intention on commending/bashing him. My observations,opinions and first hand knowledge were drawn upon when making my initial post on this matter. Again I have no intention of hurting his business and that is why I posted in the specific manner I did. I will pm you today. if my answer is satisfactory you could honor me in this thread with a "I understand what Linearone was commenting on now."

Thanks

Forgive me for having a little fun but... If you use a #14 wire to connect your anode to your tank circuit, you might be a Wizard. If you stuff your unshielded filament transformer right next to your tank coil, you might be a Wizard. If you cut a big hole in your front panel to mount a meter and don't shield it, you might be a Wizard. If you don't mind the possibility of B+ arriving at your antenna and forget a plate blocking choke, you might be a Wizard. If you put a picture of a Wizard on the front of your box in hopes it will magically fix all of the mistakes, you might be a Wizard.

Getting something to work and having it work right are two entirely different things. When there is no RF backing down the AC line or leaking like a sive out of the cabinent, you can use the amp without worrying about blowing up the neighbors new plasma or computer. I'd like to hold an RF probe in front of that meter or around the AC line cord when it's keyed (with someone else's scope connected). Think there are any filter inductors or bypass caps on the line?

Imagine buying one of these and the only over current protection on the amp is an AC circuit breaker? How about breaking the bank and spending $10 on optocouplers across the meter shunts to give some grid and plate current limits? I don't even think a grid meter is included. Wizard current limit = use a transformer too small to work the tube in the first place and save money on both protection circuits and transformer.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.