• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Not sure if this is the right place for this.. Baffled on IC-745 PSK hookup issue...

I wished you next door. I'm trying to get into digital modes myself and get frustrated easily. I know the local club has a "radio night" each week and they have a digital station. I guess I need to show up one night and see if I can pick up some learning.

I miss my old Elmer.

I tried that at first. If you read my first post, and my first follow-up... I had connected the audio from the PC to what was supposed to be the audio input pin on the accessory port on my IC-745, but the audio level (even if I turned everything up) was so low it was unusable. I think that the radio expected some sort of amplified signal into that pin on the accessory port, but nowadays, computer sound cards are line-level outputs. There just wasn't enough oomph behind the sound signal out of the PC into that pin on the jack to be usable.

I'm sure if I had hooked my mp3 player up to that pin on the accessory port, it would have worked just fine, since my mp3 player's headphone jack is an amplified output.

Whereas the mic connector's input on the front is amplified inside the radio using the Mic Gain knob on the radio's face. Meaning I can turn the computer down to 35-50% output level, and use the mic gain to get the proper level without having to overdrive it.

Icom has always had a high drive requirement for audio levels. Not sure why. Come to think of it I may have been driving the ACC. port with SPKR. out of the old desktop computer I was using at the time and not line level out. That would certainly account for the ease of which I was able to do it. I also used to run amplified mic audio into it thru a couple pieces of gear and they all had line level inputs and outputs. Sometime I'll have to try the laptop into the PHONE PATCH IN/OUT ports of my Kenwood TS-820S. I know it will drive my FT-857 OK as the drive levels are easily set using the menus.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.