• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Nothing worse then wrong tool for the job....

ElectronTubesRule

Sep 6, 2011
Well first I am trying to make a non-axial cap that is about 1/2 an inch too long and 30% larger diameter fit because I have a lot of them on hand. I know first mistake......

So I go to dig out my old Weller Soldering Station from H.S. it sounded like a box full of broken glass.....So she did not survive the move from the Divorce....

So I drive over to Mom and Dad's place to borrow Dad's.....It is this huge Craftsmen Soldering Gun it must weight 6lbs. and it has a trigger for hi and low......It is huge and unwieldly.....I felt like I was trying to write my name with an 80lbs. pencil!!! Oh wait for it it gets better........As soon as it would heat up and the soldier would start to flow it would short out......What should have taken 10 minutes including clean up time ended up taking 2 hours. What a nightmare!!!

You never really know how much you value an item until it is stolen, misplaced or damaged!!! I realize that a Weller soldering station is not some hot gota have item but boy do I miss the old girl!

I certainly understand that feeling! I have/had a nice soldering station, adjustable temp, etc. Made a mistake and left it on a porch one night. Found it chewed up the next morning. Why would a dog chew on an electrical cord? And an extension cord? And some rope? No, it wasn't my dog, no one claimed it. It was friendly though, sure gonna miss it...
- 'Doc

I certainly understand that feeling! I have/had a nice soldering station, adjustable temp, etc. Made a mistake and left it on a porch one night. Found it chewed up the next morning. Why would a dog chew on an electrical cord? And an extension cord? And some rope? No, it wasn't my dog, no one claimed it. It was friendly though, sure gonna miss it...
- 'Doc

Did you use your 12 gauge lead melter?

The dog looked like a cross between a bordercolly and something with very short legs, and was smart. Typicall black/white coloring, very cute. Other than the chewing on stuff, it also liked to collect things. As in my front yard looked like a garage sale at times, stuff everywhere. You name it, clothes, balls, shoes (only one of each), bowls, dolls, and a few items that I don't normally see on clothes lines..silky thingys, you know? It even tried to pull some 'bumper' strips off of my new car!
No, I didn't kill it. It was smarter than the dogcather, so doubt if he got it, no idea what happened it was just gone after a while. If it had specialized 'collecting' in money, it would have had a home for as long as either of us was alive!
- 'Doc

- 'Doc

The mailman delivered two boxes to the FL residence, Two shure microphones.

He sat them inside the front gate.

When I got home the two golden retrievers have torn opened the boxes and was playing keep away with what was left of the microphones.

I love my wife, wife loves the dogs. Packages now get kept at the post office and I get a notification card to come pick them up.

Did I mention the dogs like to play fetch with the wife's high heel slippers? Yep she left them on the porch one evening and her golden retrievers got a hold of them. I could not resist giving them a pitch a few times thinking of those Shure mics.

I am big strong guy in H.S. I benched 425lbs. in a powerlifting tournament and used to power cleans with 315lbs. for sets of 10 during football season!! Keep in mind I am very out of shape now but still a big muscular man. That soldering gun had my hand I coordination gone due to the weight...If I would have had to write my name I would have to have printed because their is no way I could have written in cursive my motor skills where gone..... Amazing how 5-6lbs can kill you if you hold it long enough. TO make matters worse I have no stool in the pole barn so I was standing the entire time. Next time some old towels are going down on the kitchen table so I can sit and be closer to my work....Amazing how much your can forget in 20 years.....LOL It is all slowly coming back to me.

On the 12 gauge lead melter I urge anyone looking for a hunting slug gun with a rifled bore to look at the H&R single shots. The current recorder holder for hold the laughing bench rest slug gun shooting used one to win. I have had one since they first came out with it. $149 at Walmart it has a 10gauge barrel under bored for 12 gauge it is a very heavy stiff barrel. It is like shooting a rifle with regard to the accuracy. I could put 3 sabot slugs in a target the diameter of a metal pop can at 150 yards off hand with a 2-9X scope. Totally different experience then firing those old paper shelled pumpkin balls that Grandpa used in his shotgun!!!

Oh it isnot picky about brands either. My ex father in law bought a hastings rifled barrels for his Remington 870 and that things would not feed Remington Copper Solids to save it's life had issues with them not wanting to extract. I tried every single brand and have yet to find one that would not feed and function flawlessly out to 75 yards the difference in brands is when going past that some stay tight some open up a lot.

If you do get one. Remove the recoil pad and you will see a screw remove that screw and a 1.5 inch steel rod 6-8 inch's long will fall out. Now put the recoil pad back on. Now try it out. I think it shoulder faster swings better and recoils less with out the counter weight in the butt stock. I learned my tactical shooting in Europe and as such I prefer a barrel heavy set up short stock and a sling adjusted tight to push the weapon away from me. So I am a kind of biased about counter weights in butt stock's.

Oh and if you have not shot a sabot slug be warned they recoil a lot more then buck shot. Also few people need the 3 1/2 magnum sabot slugs I would not bother with them if they still make them. Save the 3 1/2 magnum 12ga shells for Duck and Turkey season!!!

I use 3 1/2 inch magnum 12ga shells for water foul love them!!! Just like having a 10ga with out the hard to find shells or the high prices. One of my Great Uncles was a Fur Trapper in his youth bought his first 10ga shotgun brand new from the local hardware store for $2.75 cents. He is dead now but he taught me a lot of skills no one teach's any more!

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.