• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NV4K on 20 mtr.

The A99 seems to work well on 20m according to many operators reports, perhaps you could install an A99 then simply add a 17' wire on the mounting bracket to create a 20m quasi-1/2 wave center fed...?

...and add your eight 2' radials on it for decoupling 10-11m.

I'm sure I'll get flamed by every ham on the forum if go this route. hahaha. Still it might work. thx for the idea tho.

I just don't have the space to do that. fourstringburn, You play bass??
Take a look at the Hustler 4 5, or 6 BTV series verticals. These can be ground mounted with or without radials and under $200.

Good guess, I am a bass player and also a classically trained pianist who likes to talk on radios!

Last edited:
Take a look at the Hustler 4 5, or 6 BTV series verticals. These can be ground mounted with or without radials and under $200.

Good guess, I am a bass player and also a classically trained pianist who likes to talk on radios!

The only place I could ground mount the btv would be in the dog pen. Not a good idea. If they didn't receive rf burns I'm sure they would chew it to pieces. :eek:

Semi pro bass player for about 20 years. semi pro because I get paid half the time and the other half sometimes. :LOL::LOL:

I'm looking at the mfj 1796. 40-6mtr 12 ft. long. I'm thinking if I position the loading assembly away from the house it might work. It's a bit more expensive than my budget, but it might be my best bet. I'm a noobie to all the amateur stuff so I really appreciate all the input. 73

Well nobody has told me I'm screwed just yet. :(
Only if you keep trying to use a cb ant.:D.

Think man ! there is plenty of options.
You could use the imax as a mast for a inverted v surely you have someplace to tie off the ends to ,Roof gutter ,fence ,dog pen etc,.

Or how about a 1/4 wave ground plane. using wire ground planes.

Or a !/2 wave vertical dipole (sleeve dipole style) T2LT about 32ft long
Or a 5/8 Gain master style. ( thats 43 ft long though.)

Even if you scaled the imax up and added another 22ft of wire to the end and tied it off to whatever you can find in your yard , horizontal or sloping down, whatever, it would work better then what you have.

Honestly it's not about your budget. It's about your knowledge and ingenuity .

Reactions: Captain Kilowatt
Only if you keep trying to use a cb ant.:D.

Think man ! there is plenty of options.
You could use the imax as a mast for a inverted v surely you have someplace to tie off the ends to ,Roof gutter ,fence ,dog pen etc,.

Or how about a 1/4 wave ground plane. using wire ground planes.

Or a !/2 wave vertical dipole (sleeve dipole style) T2LT about 32ft long
Or a 5/8 Gain master style. ( thats 43 ft long though.)

Even if you scaled the imax up and added another 22ft of wire to the end and tied it off to whatever you can find in your yard , horizontal or sloping down, whatever, it would work better then what you have.

Honestly it's not about your budget. It's about your knowledge and ingenuity .

An inverted v off the imax? Wouldn't the coax couple into the imax? As much as the imax dances around in wind I think it would destroy the inverted v. That self supporting 43 ft. antenna would look like a pretzel after a good nor'easter.

That is not what I said, what i did say is a GP kit on the antenna you first mentioned will not allow it to work on 20 meters better

I'm sorry w9cll. I'm not sure which antenna you are referring to. If you read my post you'll see I was talking about the hustler 4btv.

Last edited:

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.