• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

NV4K on 20 mtr.

Ok. I think i have this right. Trying to use the nv4k on 20 meter would be no better than using the imax or the gpe27 on 20 meter. No amount of sorcery or witchcraft will make "cb" antennas work well on 20 meters. So my very first question about the nv4k has been answered. Thank you. This forum has excellent information and very good advice. Unfortunately this thread went off topic from my original query and i have myself to blame for that. w9cll please accept my opology for the confusion. steve 73

Steve: The ground plane(counterpoise) the the 4BTV need only be simple wire radials they can be laid on a roof...thumb tacked to eve or open air tied to some object with small string...45 deg angle optimized for best operation.This is not super critical...they can be as few as one but generally if above ground 3 or 4 will work better.
Now if your mounting using a metal mast, then this also can be part of the system. then extra wire length can be added to mast at bottom along edge of house/flower bed etc. Aluminum gutter make good ones if all tied together with good continuity. Those same gutters can also be a " wire trough" for others cut to length and attached to mast.
A little "Out of the Box" thinking and a little more info on your location and antenna possible set-up can be a big help for us to help you get something workable "On the Air"...But Cb antenna on 20m...a simple 20m dipole at same height , will get it's butt!
All the Best
Gary

I have a 20ft. piece of metal fence post driven into the ground about 8 ft. The 12 ft. that is above ground is fastened to the north side of the house by 2 wall mounts.I also have it strapped to the fascia with a pipe strap. The peak of the roof is 15 ft. The fence post is offset roughly 4 ft. From the peak. I could probably run two 17 ft. radials east-west along the slope of the fascia although one side would have to hang down about 4 ft. I am able to run radials to the south on the roof. The problem is running them to the north. The only choices I have in that direction are the deck or the dog pen. both would bring the radials too close to people on the deck. I'm worried the high voltages on the radials would cause harm. I still don't have a digital camera to post pictures. I'm hoping the info helps. thx steve

These are your exact words...

I never said anything about putting a ground plane on the nv4k. Please read my post #5. I state that the ground plane kit would be for the hustler antenna . Yes,I agree putting a ground plane on the nv4k would be foolish. The biggest reason I inquired about using the nv4k because it does NOT need a ground plane because of it's design.

http://vk6ysf.com/20m_portable_ground_plane.htm

http://www.csgnetwork.com/antennagpcalc.html

Roll your own ground plane. you can use old aluminum salvaged from antennas or go to home depot or lowes and get some EMT electrical conduit,, just a few $ for 10' sections.

Usa some old wire for the radials,,have fun.

1/2 hours work, real easy antenna project to get you started.
If you are worried about the voltage on the radials use insulated wire.

Or go with the vertical dipole idea. buy a 10m fishing pole off ebay to support it.

P.s the vk6 ant is using a 10m squid pole ( fishing pole) but you get the idea. Balun is a good idea but most likely not required on a ground plane 1/4 wave.

You could gut the imax and use it for parts.

Amateur radio is not a plug and play hobby .have fun with it . 73s from VK4 AAP

Reactions: wavrider
Going all the way back to the original question about the NV4k. Nope, not as it is. However, if you already have the antenna and it is the 3/4^ CB version it is useful. Remove the cone and the gamma, add a matching network that will bring the now 1/2^ vertical(EFHW) @14.255 Mhz ~ to 50 Ohms and you're good.
If you don't have the antenna don't buy it to reuse, just buy some tubing and put it together with a matching network for a homebrew EFHW.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.