• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

odd issue with 959

ND88

Feb 7, 2014
Bartlesville, Oklahoma
Sometimes my galaxy dx959 seems quieter than other times. I can hop on and when i transmit on ssb the needle is very active and alive as i'm speaking, jumping from 12-18 watts.... My voice is clear and booming through the talkback, sounds amazing. If there are conditions I can usually make contacts when my radio is acting this way.

Then other days I will fire up the radio and the needle is hovering around 3-6 watts power while I'm talking. The talkback isn't as loud, and my voice sounds poorly modulated when compared to the talkback of the 959 on a good day...

This seems to be random, it can happen anytime. When I hop in the truck and turn on the radio I never know if it's going to be a good day or a bad day for my radio. If i get on and the needle isn't moving much and the talkback isn't booming, I know not to waste too much time trying to make contacts. I never seem to get out when the radio is acting as I described in the 2nd paragraph.

Has anyone experienced this with a radio, any idea what could be causing this? It isn't the radio settings... I can leave all the settings the same one day to the next and it is not a factor.

Check your coax connections, sounds like a bad connector or one that may have a short. Move all connectors and see if the issue comes or goes. Be my first thing to look at.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree about the antenna connections ND88 , was it you that had antenna problems a few months back with the antenna on the install ? Too lazy this morning to go back an review the post's ! lol:sleep:

Reactions: 1 person
I had a similar issue with one when switching from mobile to base and back the inner connector of the antenna jack on back of the radio spread open wider when on the LMR 400 coax on the base and then when connected to the RG-8x in the car the connector would make poor contact and give strange swr readings. I used a very small screwdriver to slightly bend / pry the connector closed and only used as a mobile after that. I have since sold that radio. I also always run an additional ground wire from the radio chassis to ground, I usually just go from a rear case screw with a solder on wire ring terminal and run it as short as possible to ground. Let us know what you find.

Could be something temperature sensitive causing your problems. What was the temperatures when it would mess up and when it would work right. During summertime Automobiles here in the south can get up to 160 degrees F. On the inside with the windows rolled up.

Sometimes my galaxy dx959 seems quieter than other times. I can hop on and when i transmit on ssb the needle is very active and alive as i'm speaking, jumping from 12-18 watts.... My voice is clear and booming through the talkback, sounds amazing. If there are conditions I can usually make contacts when my radio is acting this way.

Then other days I will fire up the radio and the needle is hovering around 3-6 watts power while I'm talking. The talkback isn't as loud, and my voice sounds poorly modulated when compared to the talkback of the 959 on a good day...

This seems to be random, it can happen anytime. When I hop in the truck and turn on the radio I never know if it's going to be a good day or a bad day for my radio. If i get on and the needle isn't moving much and the talkback isn't booming, I know not to waste too much time trying to make contacts. I never seem to get out when the radio is acting as I described in the 2nd paragraph.

Has anyone experienced this with a radio, any idea what could be causing this? It isn't the radio settings... I can leave all the settings the same one day to the next and it is not a factor.

Tried another mic yet?

Reactions: 2 people
I had a similar issue with one when switching from mobile to base and back the inner connector of the antenna jack on back of the radio spread open wider when on the LMR 400 coax on the base and then when connected to the RG-8x in the car the connector would make poor contact and give strange swr readings.

I agree with BammBamm on this. I-ve had this same thing happen, and it always turned out to be the coax connector. Clean the jack and the pl259 and see if that helps.

Swap your mics. Keep it simple to start with. And I have noticed that the newer line of 959s have a very tight antenna jack. I actually broke the jumper going from the jack to the pcb. Also make sure your mic jack is tight.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.