• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

# of New Hams since Dropping of Code

The electronics side of the General exam is anything but easy.

That's the only part I'm having a tuff time with. Every practice test I take I pretty much ace every section but the electronics questions.
Lucky for me I get 26 chances to be right, and 9 chances to be wrong and still pass.....:D

We'll see what happens this coming friday....I tend to choke at tests....:blushing:

I concur with Park, CW was/is an accomplishment.
It was far more than memorizing answers to test questions. I passed the General code years ago, but couldn't hear well enough to pass the Extra although I did pass the theory. Now I decline to upgrade, carrying an Advanced ticket tells the world that I am a code man.
I can build a CW transmitter & reciever outta an old TV & junk. I'll never be able to homebrew a laptop!

Still, I'm glad to see the additional HAMS. And if you listen to the slow-code freqs often, you can hear these guys/gals aren't staying on the voice portions either. Many, many of them are increasing their spectrum allocations by learning the code AFTER testing!
A1A will get thru when all other modes fail miserably. The only form of communications that offer more solid contact is a landline, and many of the younger HAMS have come to appreciate that fact. Being codeless doesn't mean they are clueless!

Last edited:
I am a brand new HAM (haven't even got my call sign yet), but I am currently learning code for the fun of it and for the things you can do with it. Even without it being required, I don't think it will ever go away.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.