• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Off by a Channel

jbo

Sep 27, 2005
Oscoda MI
I think I figured out my problem with my 148gtl. If I am on 1 and my buddy is on 2 he can hear me perfect, I believe that would be called off freq. I would like to know how to fix this. Can anyone help.

Errr, what kind of radio?

Some RCI-made types (Galaxy/Ranger/Connex/Superstar/General) have a really w-i-d-e coverage range on the tuneable slugs used to set the PLL's channel frequency. One each for USB, LSB and a third one for AM/FM/CW.

If it's that kind of radio, those slugs alone can do this. Silliest thing I ever did with one of those was to set USB one channel higher than AM and LSB. Focused on those right-hand digits, and didn't pay attention to the ones on the left of the counter's display. Only had to do that once. So far. At least it was exactly one channel too high on USB.

IMHO, the wider the tuning range on those slugs, the more drift the radio's frequency will exhibit with temperature changes.

Most legal 40-channel radios do not have that kind of adjustment range on those slugs. And they tend to have a more stable channel frequency, too. Don't consider that a coincidence.

Wow Butch ! one could only hope for such an easy fix ! but you could be so right (-: reminds me of a friend a while back,gives me a call saying his radio took a dive ....I saw him a few days later and he had his RF Gain turned the wrong way (-: or just last week IM driving down the road with this electrical noise in my receive ,OH I was talk'in to folks with no problem and hearing them fairly well over the 3 or 4 pounds of noise I had ,after about a 30 mile drive I get into my driveway and go to shut all systems down ......turns out I had my damed receive amp on the whole damned time !! )-: my bad

That would only possible be the case if he bought it used and did not know a 10kc mod was done. If he owned it new then probably not.

I hear ya Switch. I picked up my Delta from the shop several yaers ago hooked it all up and when I keyed the mic this terrible noise came out. I was fumming. Turns out I had the talk back volume all the way up........feedback....lol

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.