• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Off Frequency 2950 ( 1st gen )

Xjeepguy

Oct 12, 2018
Good day guys . I have a 1st gen 2950 that's a C hair off on LSB and USB , 20ish Hz or so ( been sitting around for a while ) . I used to just touch the xtal trimmers on the typical CB to 'nudge' them back on . I was looking at the service manual and inside the radio , it mentioned the 3 inductor cans L27 , 28 and 29 but do not think this is what I want . I am looking at VC1 and VC2 , right besides the xtal 1 and 2 ? I know this isn't the proper method but have used this on typical CB's before and it does work for the REALLY minor ( Hz) adjustment. Any brave people out there have done this ?

Thanks !!

I listened to it on my newer Yaesu and it's definitely not acceptable , by my ears anyways . Needs a tweak .

How do you know how accurate your Yaesu is? You are comparing an unknown to an unknown. Just because it is new and an amateur rig does not mean the counter is anywhere accurate enough to determine 20 Hz. I have seen brand new straight out of the box rigs be off over 100Hz.

How do you know how accurate your Yaesu is? You are comparing an unknown to an unknown. Just because it is new and an amateur rig does not mean the counter is anywhere accurate enough to determine 20 Hz. I have seen brand new straight out of the box rigs be off over 100Hz.
I know my Yaesu pretty well and it's about dead on with other amateur radio op's I talk to. I've done this a bunch of times with other CB radios that just need a minuscule nudge to get back on freq. But those, the 3 xtals were lined up and the trimmers right there, was easy peezey. I know this way of doing it isn't for most people but, it does work. Appreciate your thoughts on it.

It's similar in comparison to a simple, dead - Alarm clock - the alarm clock is right 2X a day even though it doesn't move, or even have its spring wound to keep time.

Compare the non-working Alarm clock to a watch that loses 1 second a day - The Alarm clock has more accurate "results" twice a day - because by the time the watch catches back up to itself - will take longer amount of time to be "corrected" it will be off for the rest of your lifetime.

T = 12 Hrs (figuring Analog watch dial)​
T = 12 X (1 Hour equals 3600 Seconds) 3600​
T = 43,200 Seconds (Hint: The Error)
Convert to Years = 365 (skipping Leap) Days = 1 Yr​
Watch loses 1 second per day = 365 seconds per year​
D(Lifetime) = 43,200 Seconds / 365 S-Yr​
By the time (SIC) watch can even be correct = (118.3561643835616 Years) / 2 = No consideration for AM or PM​
OR = D = 59.18(Rounded up) Years to the second of that moment​

Compare to the Yaesu and the CB (Galaxy?) Now both radios may be "off" to the rest of the world but are in tune with each other - making it more accurate than most other radios what were never "matched" to these two.

Did you see my error?
Look more closely...there are 2 - 12-hour cycles for a dial watch or any face clock - being a day is 24 hours long.
So T = 43,200 X 2 or T= 86,400 / 365 = 236.72 years it will take...
So even with the demonstration - the error is even greater as others focus more on the accuracy of the measurement - which exacerbates the problem and multiplies the division of known actual time-base events versus the relativistic events - with relativistic events being two radios in-step with each other while time-based results of the argument being not every radio can be "tuned" the same way nor can it be considered accurate due to the environment and conditions it is operated in.
In light of the discussion - the effort to make all timing systems the same - generates the error within the time base used in each individual system - forcing the user to abandon the multi-point timing references to a one single time base as the reference

Last edited:
It's winter right now in our part of the country, even the most stable radio's will move 20-50 Hz. By the time you warm the car or room up some and talk for 15 minutes they come around. The only reason I say this is you might end up chasing your tail on this one. You nudge it in place and then 30 minutes later your now off the other direction. Then you spend two hours chasing C hairs and your right back where you started. Any way good luck.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?