• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old 300 Gray help

BOBKAT

Jan 20, 2021
Used this liner for 30 yrs while I was trucking. Loaned it out and this is how I got it back. What do I need repair it.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    156.4 KB · Views: 155
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 142
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    154.3 KB · Views: 142

That is one torched combiner. You "COULD" get lucky and that's all that it needs, but I wouldn't bet on it. There is a strong chance that the transistors are smoked and I don't know that those are readily available anymore.
It might be the case where you need to decide just how much money that you want to throw at it.

BTW...what radio was he driving it with?

The 'friend' did one of two things, most likely.

1: Connected it to an antenna with a bad coax, bad ground or other fault causing a high SWR.

2: Used a radio that was way too big, and pumped several times the allowable drive wattage into it.

We have found that when there are no penalties for destroying an amplifier with misuse that people tend to misuse amplifiers.

I'll guess that the guy who borrowed it has not suggested paying for the repairs.

The smoked combiner tells you that after one of the two pairs of RF transistors had failed, he kept transmitting until all the smoke was released.

Ask him if he had to open both the driver and passenger-side windows to exhaust the smoke.

Considering the age of this amplifier I would probably classify it as "totaled". Might very well cost less to replace it than to repair it properly.

Yup ! All of the above ! :whistle: I have an Old Gray Base Amp , I got it repaired by a member of this forum , but I don't think he'll take a poke @ that one ! :eek: Parts for these are hard to get , I got lucky with what I needed replaced . Sorry to say but it's not heavy enough for a boat anchor & too big for a Paper weight . Like the say " With friends like that , who needs enemies " ! Stay healthy & Safe ! 73 & God Bless ! Leo

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.