• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old Grant DX, Stryker 955 or 2nd AT-6666

CB590

W9WDX Member
Jun 29, 2016
Trenton Nj
www.590dx.com
Hey peoples.

I found a President Grant DX for like $130 and it has already been aligned by a reputable shop (that I have dealt with before) and he said he can adjust how I want prior to shipping it out to me. Like lowering the AM dead key down for me as not to kill my Palomar Elite 4 pill.

I was thinking of sticking that in the house as base to run with my 4 pill amp or barefoot as I was told it does 20-25 on AM and about 25w on SSB, and then I'd move the AT-6666 I have to the pickup truck and just run barefoot. Figure the 6666 may fair better with the cold temps up here in NY.

I do like the quietness and filtering of the AT-6666 receive currently.

option B blow $400 and grab the Stryker 955 for the truck.

Third option is spend $225 and grab another new AT-6666 for the truck.

Keep in mind I currently run my Ranger 296 AM/SSB rig in the truck with RM203.

I would consider the Galaxy 86v or RCI 2950CD again. But the white noise on the 2950 is a concern, and the 86v may have drift.

For the vehicle, go with the AT-6666. The PCB construction of the AT-6666 is more durable for in-vehicle use VS. the Stryker 955. The RCI-2950 has noisy RX and the Galaxy will drift. Those are my observations based on the bench.

My nod goes to the AT-6666 in this case.

~Cheers~

I was wondering what rig to get to use as a base and move my existing 6666 to the truck. Or are you saying just buy a second 6666 like suggested as my Option 3?

Can anyone recommend a decent 4 pin mic for this rig. Keep in mind it does has a mic gain on the front.

I have used the Cheap 'Superstar' but unfortunately the last 2 seemed like duds with wire issues going into the connector.

I used to has the Astatic 636L mic and had great luck with them.

I'd like to keep it under $20 for the mic. Someone at some point said the Uniden BC645 ($15) newer mics are pretty good but I read they are electric condenser mics and may not play well with older dynamic type setups. They also make the Uniden 804NC which is noise cancelling and is like $20 says 500 ohms impedence and 0-5000 response.

CB590,
I am personally not a fan of amplified microphones. I really have no need for one. All of my radios have enough audio gain to make an amplified microphone unnecessary.
I was recently given a “needy” old Turner microphone that has become a favorite. (Picture below)
10271F35-ED77-47E4-B08A-AC07B85B1EA0.jpeg
I have posted a thread on this forum detailing the repairs to make it a favorite.
I would suggest something like this on your Grant. Repairs on mine were quite simple and audio response is excellent.
The other reasons for this suggestion is it breathes new life into a classic, is typically cheap and you will have something to be proud of that few others have.
Anybody can plunk down a credit card for the latest greatest echo/roger beeping amplified microphone!!

Good Luck!

David

CB590,
I am personally not a fan of amplified microphones. I really have no need for one. All of my radios have enough audio gain to make an amplified microphone unnecessary.
I was recently given a “needy” old Turner microphone that has become a favorite. (Picture below)
View attachment 32818
I have posted a thread on this forum detailing the repairs to make it a favorite.
I would suggest something like this on your Grant. Repairs on mine were quite simple and audio response is excellent.
The other reasons for this suggestion is it breathes new life into a classic, is typically cheap and you will have something to be proud of that few others have.
Anybody can plunk down a credit card for the latest greatest echo/roger beeping amplified microphone!!

Good Luck!

David

Looks like a very nice mic. The issue I have is no table near my "stereo rack" to set it. I also don't want anything amplified. The mics I listed are not amplified.

Reactions: Dmans
Honestly, I would go back to the Workman Superstar DM 507-4 mic, and just put a good mic cord on it. Those mics truly sound superb with the old President Grant DX radios. That's what I use on mine and people love the audio. I did replace the cord on it, however.

You'll really enjoy that Grant DX on the base. It's a fantastic radio. (y)

~Cheers~

Honestly, I would go back to the Workman Superstar DM 507-4 mic, and just put a good mic cord on it. Those mics truly sound superb with the old President Grant DX radios. That's what I use on mine and people love the audio. I did replace the cord on it, however.

You'll really enjoy that Grant DX on the base. It's a fantastic radio. (y)

~Cheers~

My current mics are the Workman CM4 Cobra looking mics. I hear from a few the 507-4 was better.

Maybe I'll just try my 1 good working CM4 to test it all out and then order in a 507-4 animal. I got to pull the Ranger 296DX from the truck anyway and that has a 5-4 adapter and the good CM4 on it.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.