• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Old school automatic Am/Fm/CB retractable antennas?

BahamaDon

Feb 16, 2023
Did anyone make a decent performing Am/FM/CB motorized telescoping antenna years ago? I remember they were popular on Cadillac's and Lincolns back in the 70's, especially with the in dash radios that did am/fm and cb all in one radio. I don't recall ever hearing that any were particularly good CB antennas, but I wondered if you guys knew of any of them were? I had an idea to use one of these on a car project I am doing, but didn't want to waste the time if theses antennas were real dogs. Something like this:1711714332230.png

Harada made a decent one 30+ years ago. I have one made by Citizen(Japan) in the box in my garage. Never used it though since they are not as good as the real thing but will get you by. The telescopic part of the antenna is way longer than a normal power antenna and theres a coil at the bottom that looks like crap so you can't really hide the fact that you have a CB in your car. Here's a similar pic of the one I never used. I think back in 1987 I paid like $109 for this thing.
1711725138913.png

Thanks, that is the sort of info I am looking for! I want to put an new old stock telephone style cb (Lafayette Com-Phone 23A with extra channels I just finished) in an old London Taxi I own, to look like it has an old IMTS style telephone system in it. I didn't want to put a regular whip type cb antenna as it would look incorrect on this taxi, but a retractable antenna would be ok. I may just pick up one and play with it a bit to see if it will be useable. I could see re working the splitter box to eliminate the AM/FM and possibly being able to increse the power handling of the antenna a little bit. I'd be happy if I could run about 20-30w DK to make up for the less efficient antenna. I doubt it will work great, but if it is useable for local stuff that would be enough. I like the look of these old telephone style CB's in my antique vehicles, as I put a TRC-456 in my old Ford Flatbed truck and it really looks like a serious radio and talks suprisingly well too, but I can use a real 102"antenna on the truck. I just cant have a vehicle without radios in it, too boring to drive around with nothing to play with!!

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
I suppose you could use any retractable antenna with one of these.

The IM-AF Inverse Multiplexor System is an AM/FM CB antenna splitter from ProComm, Inc. that will convert CB antennas for use with AM/FM radios.
If the thought of running multiple antennas leaves you twisted in knots, combine your antennas with an Inverse Multiplexor system. No need to add to the rat nest of cables running through your car, truck, big rig, or RV. Use the IM-AF from ProComm and simplify your radio setup!
This antenna splitter from ProComm is designed to allow you to use your CB antenna for both CB communications and for your AM/FM radio listening. The use of this device is similar to the Firestik AR1A.
Installation is straight forward. The coax from the CB antenna is connected to one side of the IMAF. Two short jumper cables are provided with the IMAF that connect to your AM/FM radio (Motorola connector) and CB radio (PL259 connector).
Compact to easily fit under the dash of most vehicles the IMAF measures 4" w x 2.25" t x 1.5" d.
This product is not recommended for use with no-ground plane (NGP) antennas.
System includes:
  • Inverse multiplexor box
  • 2 foot RG58U coax with male BNC connector to male Motorola plug
  • 2 foot RG58U coax with male BNC connector to PL259 connector
  • Installation instructions.
Product features
  • Allows CB antenna to simultaneously work as AM/FM antenna
  • Eliminate the need for multiple aerial antennas on your car, truck, or RV
  • No tuning required
  • Rated at 30 watts max input power
  • For Standard CB antennas not recommended for NGP antennas
  • IMAF measures 4 inches wide x 2.25 inches tall x 1.5 inches deep
  • Easy to follow Instructions included

I suppose you could use any retractable antenna with one of these.

The IM-AF Inverse Multiplexor System is an AM/FM CB antenna splitter from ProComm, Inc. that will convert CB antennas for use with AM/FM radios.
If the thought of running multiple antennas leaves you twisted in knots, combine your antennas with an Inverse Multiplexor system. No need to add to the rat nest of cables running through your car, truck, big rig, or RV. Use the IM-AF from ProComm and simplify your radio setup!
This antenna splitter from ProComm is designed to allow you to use your CB antenna for both CB communications and for your AM/FM radio listening. The use of this device is similar to the Firestik AR1A.
Installation is straight forward. The coax from the CB antenna is connected to one side of the IMAF. Two short jumper cables are provided with the IMAF that connect to your AM/FM radio (Motorola connector) and CB radio (PL259 connector).
Compact to easily fit under the dash of most vehicles the IMAF measures 4" w x 2.25" t x 1.5" d.
This product is not recommended for use with no-ground plane (NGP) antennas.
System includes:
  • Inverse multiplexor box
  • 2 foot RG58U coax with male BNC connector to male Motorola plug
  • 2 foot RG58U coax with male BNC connector to PL259 connector
  • Installation instructions.
Product features
  • Allows CB antenna to simultaneously work as AM/FM antenna
  • Eliminate the need for multiple aerial antennas on your car, truck, or RV
  • No tuning required
  • Rated at 30 watts max input power
  • For Standard CB antennas not recommended for NGP antennas
  • IMAF measures 4 inches wide x 2.25 inches tall x 1.5 inches deep
  • Easy to follow Instructions included
That may be an option also, with a longer telescoping whip it might not be a terrible performer? I had forgotten that Rat Shack used to sell a non-telescoping 4 ft antenna for AM/FM and CB to use on boats, with a splitter box like that attached. I just found one that I had mounted in my boat years ago and had forgotten about it being there (the antenna itself was inside a plastic wire run tube hidden).

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.