• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Omega Force s45HP

Thanks for this. I opened up the mic , and thought, I have no idea what I am doing and then closed it up again. :D Looked a tad brittle in there. There was a hole through the little circuit board and I take it that may have been access to the adjuster??? I wonder if someone has done a vid of the mic gain adjusting from within the mic.

cheers

Bruce

i have adjusted mine . there will be a screw adjustment in mike similiar to a d104 mike
turn it 1 direction its all way down or off.
turn it other direction its maxed out. pretty simple.
right. wrong i found myself constantly adjusting this when using my amp with radio
so i cranked this up all the way then just used mic gain on radio to fine tune
for a after market mike hook it up on the right side its a simple 4 pin i recommend
the workman 502b mic its also a eletrec condencor mike same as stock mike
d104 sounds too tiny or pinched tuners sounded good if ya can find one

Gentlemen where would I run the power on this radio on ssb to run a kl203 amp ssb only.

Many thanks
Bobby

Those little amps take such a small amount of juice you could connect it almost anywhere. However, do NOT waste the money on the 203, unless you like the smell of circuitry smoke. It uses four worthless FET's and you will smoke one of them in no time with that radio. Buy the KL200 instead, or any of the KL's ending with a zero. Those are all made with real pills. Almost impossible to hurt them. I talk from experience. ;)

JJD I have a closet here with a few keepers in there so when I get tired or blow up everything I still have something that works great, one is the Omega Force s45HP, 257HP, 2950DX, Road Force 497, Lafayette SSB 120, and of course a few 148GTL side mic ones. I have had awful luck with any RM Amp that I owned, the 203 I had unsoldered it self, after resoldering every single joint it worked fine but why should I have had to do that. Had 2 of them do the exact thing with a 12 watt peak using SSB so I sure wasn't over driving it and didn't use it on AM at all.

Those little amps take such a small amount of juice you could connect it almost anywhere. However, do NOT waste the money on the 203, unless you like the smell of circuitry smoke. It uses four worthless FET's and you will smoke one of them in no time with that radio. Buy the KL200 instead, or any of the KL's ending with a zero. Those are all made with real pills. Almost impossible to hurt them. I talk from experience. ;)

i agree kl200,300,500 mobiles
all decent amps 10-12 watt input ssb
forget the rest

The KL203 I had worked great with a Uniden Grant xl. 1 watt dead key swinging to 12 watts and the SSB peak also set at 12 watts. I also added a small fan. For the money they are ok, seems the whole RM line is pretty much low low drive amplifiers. For the money they are ok but there is better out there.

Reactions: 1 person
I make no secret of my distain for the FET. I just hate them. It's not that they can not take abuse, cause that is no secret either. It is that the owner/operator of them has to have enough experience with them and other radio equipment to instictively know, [key words there], the limitations of the FET, and to NOT push them.

How do you get that experience? By burning out FET's of course. :love:

Would like an amp but this morning I was talking to a gent in New Caledonia which is 3300 km north east from me out in the Pacific. He was coming in at 7 and 9's with him reporting strong signals his end. Nice clear audio .

Having a good run with this 45HP

Reactions: 1 person
I have tired a lot of different amps over the years, of course anything with tubes sounds great but they sure are not easy to find these days or cheap, I did try a few RM amps and my locals on SSB said they just don't sound very good, they might be ok on AM but not for me because I talk 99% on SSB. I did try a few new Palomar ones and my locals didn't say a word about my audio but I have to say my favorite was the Texas Star 350 no variable, worked very well, so good I bought another so I could put one in my mobile but never did, sold it to one of the good guys on my channel and he loves it, sounds great and clean with it. I've had a few older solid state 100 watt ones that worked very well also and a lot better than a RM on SSB.

The newer RM's sound great, as long as you drive them properly. All mine receive great audio on AM and SSB. I talk to some very picky dudes, they don't pull any punches if you sound sub par.

The newer RM's sound great, as long as you drive them properly. All mine receive great audio on AM and SSB. I talk to some very picky dudes, they don't pull any punches if you sound sub par.

Ditto on my 203P. Grant XL gets nothing but compliments with it.

RT307

Duster please educate me, how much input on SSB and which ones work ok, I did see a few new blue ones, I think I had one when they first like some kind that had a variable output knob like 300 watts out or something like that.

I have the 203, HLA-150, KL-400 and KL-500. The 500 is a high drive, but I run 2 watts DK into it as I do the others. I don't put much PEP into them either.

I keep SSB under 30 watts PEP. I certainly wouldn't run a S45 in front either.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.