• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

One and done

Mag is okay for infrequent use.
A few days versus months.

Coax gets beat up. On roof and thru window.
“Accidents”

And, water/dirt magically get under magnet.

Bad local climate just accelerates problem.

A permanent mount is a vehicle upgrade where the rest of the install is “best effort”.

Can't argue with any of that sound logic. Although, I've found a few tricks to minimize those problems. Gorilla tape inside the doorjamb or hatchback to hold the wire tight and in the same safe place (not in the top edge of the weather striping, so rain doesn't follow it in), offers some protection for the wire.

GE clear silicon under the magnet is awesome for holding it in place, preventing moisture migration, as well as preventing scratches and dirt from getting under it. I admit, when I finally removed that installation a few years later, it did take several minuets longer than expected to work the thin edge of an old credit card under the lip of the mag mount and cut through the silicon bond. However, it left not a scratch or any sign of damage, once the little remaining silicon was rubbed of the paint with a soft rag.

Can't argue with any of that sound logic. Although, I've found a few tricks to minimize those problems. Gorilla tape inside the doorjamb or hatchback to hold the wire tight and in the same safe place (not in the top edge of the weather striping, so rain doesn't follow it in), offers some protection for the wire.

GE clear silicon under the magnet is awesome for holding it in place, preventing moisture migration, as well as preventing scratches and dirt from getting under it. I admit, when I finally removed that installation a few years later, it did take several minuets longer than expected to work the thin edge of an old credit card under the lip of the mag mount and cut through the silicon bond. However, it left not a scratch or any sign of damage, once the little remaining silicon was rubbed of the paint with a soft rag.
Would that be silicone grease? Or silicone RTV? And just around the edges or the whole thing?

Reactions: Rwb and Slowmover
Would that be silicone grease? Or silicone RTV? And just around the edges or the whole thing?
I use GE clear silicon caulk in the small tube that does not fit the gun. I think it's called Silicon II. Found in Lowes or Home Depot. I use an expired credit card to apply a thin layer to the bottom of the entire mount, as though it were heatsink compound.

Excellent advice from experience, thanks for the detail.

Reactions: Rwb and S&W357
Well, . . what’s the prognosis, Doc?
What treatment cured the patient?
as we wait i put my tinfoil hat on n pour some think less white coke a cola n eat popcorn. sorry no more coke a cola

Reactions: Slowmover

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.