• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinion= Which is better Galaxy 95T2 or Magnum S9/175

Like a 99 but with more power?

I don’t know timeline of 95 & 99. More of a predecessor, I think.

See review on CBRADIOMAGAZINE

I want one in the sense of desire.
I like the brand. Fun, out on road.

Truth is that I’m going Radio plus separate Amp hereon. (All my rigs have to be portable-type.)

An IC-718 and a PREZ Lincoln are next.

Last edited:
I'm probably one of the few who has owned both. I liked the Magnum S-9 better overall but for longevity sake if I had to buy again I'd buy the 95T2 as the amplifier stage should last longer with less issues.

That being said - I'm with most people here - I wouldn't buy either again as I like to be on frequency on SSB :) If you want to talk regularly on SSB buy a Anytone 6666 or Lincoln II and add a Texas Star 350 and you'll have more wattage, more SSB stability and less issues overall most likely.

If you need one with a built in amplifier between those two the Galaxy 95T2. If you can find a older 2970DX with the 2 transistors that would be my #1 choice.

My days of radios with built in amplifiers is over. At least until a new one strikes my fancy.

Sam Lewis Jr is rolling in his grave, rest his soul.

I’m the odd man out, I’ll take the S9 any day of the week, no Pepsi Challenge needed.

At one time I owned just about every Galaxy there was in the market. The 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, 93T, 95 & 95T. I didn’t have the 73. Yes this was all at one time, yes my wife hated it and me every time she walked into my shop.

That is until I bought a new S9, sold off all the Galaxy’s. Just my opinion, sorry I was busting at the seams.

Sam Lewis Jr is rolling in his grave, rest his soul.

I’m the odd man out, I’ll take the S9 any day of the week, no Pepsi Challenge needed.

At one time I owned just about every Galaxy there was in the market. The 33, 44, 55, 66, 77, 88, 99, 93T, 95 & 95T. I didn’t have the 73. Yes this was all at one time, yes my wife hated it and me every time she walked into my shop.

That is until I bought a new S9, sold off all the Galaxy’s. Just my opinion, sorry I was busting at the seams.

I'll take a standard S9 over the Galxy radios any day....but I feel the amplifier in the 95T2 is sturdier than the amplifier stage in the S9-175 version. If I had to have one in a truck and didn't want any issues long term that's where I'd vote 95T2 otherwise I want my S-9 with 1969 finals paired with my Magnaforce 350...why do I get rid of stuff I love? That was a fun combo...so much so I didn't mind the little SSB drift :)

Between the two - I cannot make a "quick and easy" decision.

Magnum S9 for it's "sound in SSB" but the Galaxy 95T2 even with the oops moment of leaving it keyed up in the lap while "checking" Am power adjustment - heat sink grill mark - both do well - but to say "I owned one" is not enough - it's the ones you lost - lose - along the way that you kick yourself in the butt for ever letting it go...

I'm a sucker for those round meter dial-faces...so if it ever came back, that Magnum look is what I appreciate.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
To me, I'd say yes.

The ORIGINS are different, but if you look at their outline (Where RF to IF to AF) - that layout - they all share a same "root" base.

Much like how Galaxy is to RCI and RCI's are to Galaxy but their ORIGINS to be merged are different. RCI arrived from Clear Channel's knowledge base foundation, but Galaxy arrived from Tax Evasion - at least the principle of it...:whistle: Cybernet inclusive

ROOT: Referring to the layout and basic building - use a simple Quad Op-amp to handle AGC, S/RF meter and Squelch - RF amp still uses Broadband Quadrature (as I call it) input coil to Receive. Simpler Band Pass Filtering if any can be applied but their boards for each platform just were populated with the more support needed to operate those extra modes and features. Dare I say it? Even 40 channel operation with BCD layered out in channels and bands - Ok I said it...

Midland and Uniden took a different look at their designs and made boards specific for their platforms AM versus SSB / FM - not their modes - when it came to more modes, the complexity was addressed by their boards, created, that is populated for the purpose - it's dedicated for that reason. Take the 138/139 and 66/76 (their derivatives) but then look at the 142 versus the 148/2000 and Washington versus Madison - pretty much made a board to populate for that purpose (Features) you didn't get a board riddled with empty holes - at least not like Galaxy's approach, Stryker and RF Limited does.

Only now is Uniden taking such an approach but that is a story for later - I'm done segue-ing off topic...

Now, I've worked on Magnum, Galaxy RCI and even owned them, but Stryker, due to their Class of part building - they were more like Cadillac is to Lincolns as Lincolns are to Cadillac. A little out of my price range - worked/Repaired yes, they are not as "dream boat" as many think. They are quite complex and in some instances - Brute Force methods are used - at least when it comes of the urban myth of the 2SC2999 use - they(being Stryker) based their reputation around it as a viable means to receive.

But as you look thru the various boards - they have a common ancestor (see above) but their build quality is different - at least the people that put the things together are of a different caliber than say Uniden to Dynascan which they seem to drift from one country to another in search of the cheaper labor that seems to be the main drive of many companies except perhaps Stryker.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.