1. You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
This forum does not allow a single user to have more than one username. If anyone wants to change their username contact an admin and it will be done. Multiple accounts belonging to the same member will be deleted without warning.

Opinion= Which is better Galaxy 95T2 or Magnum S9/175

Discussion in 'CB and Export Equipment and Accessories' started by 70cst, May 9, 2013.

1. 70cst

70cst Well-Known Member

You all are more versed than I so the question is:
    Of the above two radios for mobile consideration, which is the better all round radio. Mostly for AM?

Thanks in advance

2. n0zna

n0zna Digital master

both are crappy on ssb,get a rci2970n2 and you will be happier...never heard a s9 sound worth a crap on ssb,its 20 yr old tech and unstable on ssb and the 95t is a splatter box...you will really get to know the neighbors...2970n2 is better stability and cleaner on ssb and not bad on AM...73 de JW

3. Robb

Robb Yup

Never owned the S-9; but I did own the 95T2.

The 95T2 is a fine radio for a mobile trucker or hobbyist - IMO. One fault it has, is that the only mic you can use with it is a noise-cancelling mic or the stock mic. Tried using this radio with a Silver Eagle as a base setup; there was no 'happy spot' for decent mic modulation. The radio was bone stock too; no modulation mods.

The S-9 is a decent base or mobile radio, as I have a local friend that uses one and I think it is top notch with whatever mic is used.

SSB and AM quality is dependent on modulation levels in either radio as they are both hot that way - IMO.

#3 Robb, May 9, 2013
    Last edited: May 9, 2013
  4. BIONIC_TEXAN88

BIONIC_TEXAN88 Active Member

95T2 for mostly AM as you were asking about.

1 person likes this.
  5. 70cst

70cst Well-Known Member

Yes...mostly AM over the road - mobile application. Thanks All.

6. 9C1Driver

9C1Driver Sr. Member

I would say based on your question it comes down to what radio you like the look of. Galaxy radio's are known for loud AM talking with talkback. Magnum radio's have the best echo and all mode variable talkback. An S9 is a great talker and wins hands down on SSB over the galaxy if you ever try that. All that said I would choose the S9 given the two choices.

7. chassis221

chassis221 Member

Ok I have 2 95Ts not the 95T2. I have had both radios for about 3 yrs and never had an issue. I bought both off craigslist. One radio has the NPC red wire mod, the other is stock. I talk on both AM and SSB and I always get compliments on the radio sounding excellent! I personnaly think it does great on SSB.
    I also use a power mic and I have no problems at all. both radios run about 150-170 watts. The one radio cooling fan rattles a little bit, and the other radio I put on a new starlite faceplate because it wouldnt light up anymore. Both excellent radios! I personally would recommend one. any more questions....just ask.
    Good luck!

1 person likes this.
  8. 70cst

70cst Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input

9. TIN_CAN

TIN_CAN Sr. Member

I would go for the 95T2 for sure the 2290 are great pills and imho beat out the S9 on ssb and AM

1 person likes this.
  10. sp5it

sp5it Master of puppets

Both are overpriced crap. Receiver on AM is disaster, cheap and bad quality PCB work. I wouldn't buy it even for 100$.
    Get PC-122 or similar and amp. Great receiver, with some work will be loud and clean.
    Mike

1 person likes this.
  11. 70cst

70cst Well-Known Member

Amp is not an option...

12. Tucker442

Tucker442 101E

70CST I've had them both, Galaxy is a good choice for AM but all the ones I have had do drift around on SSB, some people say something some don't, the S-9 will be a little off on SSB when dead cold but gets right on and stays there all day. The Galaxy has a easier to read meter, so it's a tough choice. I do like Magnum radios more than the Galaxy ones but that's because I am on SSB 99% of the time. Someone mentioned the RCI 2970N2, thats a good choice, they stay on frequency and you could turn it down a little run it at like 125 watts or so and get some long life out of it too.

Attached Files:

2 people like this.
  13. 70cst

70cst Well-Known Member

Thanks for your input (y)

14. P.C

P.C Member

I have a 95T2 and it's a very stout performer on AM. So so on SSB in my opinion. I don't own a S9, but have a S6-175 which is very similar without the SSB. It also works well on AM, but I prefer the overall quality of the Galaxy. It just seems better built to me and controls have much better 'feel'..The channel selector on the Magnum is especially flimsy.

15. 70cst

70cst Well-Known Member

Thanks