• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Opinions? Best communications external speakers?

T23

Apr 17, 2010
Any reccomendations on the best options for external communications speakers?

Frequency response, quality, ect.

K.M

The "best" ones are the ones that sound best to ..... wait for it ..... YOU!.

For communications, don't go for super low or super high responses; anything lower than about 300 Hz or above 3KHz will be wasted, IMO.

Try a bunch of different commercial speakers. If you still don't hear what you like, put "a" speaker in a box and experiment with baffles, vents and so forth.

When I had a mobile I had a Cobra High Gear and a Uniden ESP-20. I liked the way the Cobra sounded and I liked the way the Uniden matched my interior, so I switched the speakers in the housings.

Since I'm only running base now with wideband audio I use a Pyle PCB4BK bookshelf speaker. They are only 4.8" square and come in a pair, so I keep one each hooked up to two different radios.

+1 for the Uniden ESP-20. I have mine hooked up to a Uniden scanner. IIRC, the Uniden BC-20 is its new replacement. The Barjan Talk-Back is an inexpensive speaker that works very well with a generic talk-back option that plugs into the PA jack. Radio Shack made some really nice ext speakers, too.

Get a some bose shelf speakers. Or the sp-20 that w9cll posted. In the end the ears of the user will determine which speaker will suit the need or sound best IMO.

I have one of the Uniden's, and I really like it a lot. The audio is pretty smooth on it, and the highs are not harsh. Makes a really nice combo when you have a high cut filter on the rig. There are plenty of others out there, and you can sure spend as much money as your pocket allows.

Brett

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.