• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

opinions or experiences wanted on this test equipment

Jason Bowers

Apr 17, 2021
The last time I did any serious HF radio adjustments I had a large and heavy 100 Mhz oscilloscope as well as an HP 1 Ghz spectrum analyzer. Due to finances and lack of interest, those items, along with several others, were sold about twenty years ago.

Recently, my interest has been rekindled somewhat and I am thinking about getting on 10 meters once the solar cycle begins to favor the upper HF more consistently. The problem is that my 10 meter radios have been in storage for about twenty years. Some were bought used and I have no idea how clean/ dirty transmitter/ receiver stages are not to mention transmitter output spectrum and modulation. I came across an HTX-100 recently, for example, where someone had removed the "do not adjust" sticker on the bandpass filter. Not good. So, being on a limited budget, I have been looking at these test equipment pieces:

spectrum analyzer

oscilloscope

I'm hoping that I would be able to check out and adjust spectrum output using the SA for anything up to 30 Mhz as well as checking out radio internals with the scope up to 30 Mhz (as well as viewing output SSB waveforms). So, I would appreciate any feedback on the above units. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: Rwb

For $60, check out the "TinySA". It's a pocket sized spectrum analyzer that goes up to 960MHz. and it has an internal signal generator to match. Scopes are relatively easy to find and inexpensive on eBay.

I have this scope.
Product description
Style:Oscilloscope
200Mhz, 1Gsa/s, The SDS1202X-E Series employs a new generation of Spo technology that provides excellent signal fidelity and performance. The system noise is also lower than similar products in the industry. It has a minimum vertical input range of 500 UV/Div, an innovative digital trigger system with high sensitivity and low jitter, and a waveform capture rate of 400, 000 frames/sec (sequence mode). it also employs a 256-level intensity Grading display function and a color temperature display mode not found in other models in this Class. Siglent’s new oscilloscopes offering supports multiple powerful triggering modes including serial bus triggering. Decoding is standard configuration including IIC, SPI, UART, can, LIN. History waveform recording and sequential triggering enable extended waveform recording and analysis. Another powerful addition is the new 1M points FFT math function that gives the sds1000x-e very high frequency resolution when observing signal Spectra. The new design also includes a hardware co-processor that delivers measurements quickly and accurately. The features and high performance of the sds1000x-e Series cannot be matched else anywhere at this price. Channels 2CH+1EXT, Memory depth :7 Mpts/CH (Dual-Channel); 14 Mpts/CH (Single-Channel)/ data sheet(contains data for product relating to speed). Secure erase feature.
upload_2021-4-28_11-26-53.png

Look at Rigol oscilloscopes and spectrum analyser. With their oscilliscopes you can buy the entry level one and using a software hack unlock it to the top end 200MHz with all features as their entire range of scopes are the same but just software locked to whatever version. Their Spectrum Analyser with tracking signal generator is great.

However for working with radio gear I'd buy a proper Radio Communications Test Set. These incorporate not only those two devices but RF signal generators, AF signal generators, AM modulation, FM deviation and power meters, and several other key devices in a single unit.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.