• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Oscilloscope help please

TruckerKevin

KD9NTD
Nov 9, 2017
Buckner, Illinois
www.qrz.com
hey guys, be forewarned this is a real noob question if there ever was one. I picked up this old hitachi scope from some people that don’t know anything about it and obviously neither do I lol.

I only wanted it to monitor my modulation, and to learn on. I have no probes for it. All I have is a bnc to pl259 cable. I’m running it off channel 1 to an antenna coax switch on a port I’m not using (thanks to a YouTube video) so I can try to pick up an rf sample to feed into the scope.

I took a picture, all I have is the dot in the center, no line. Nothing. Over. And nothing I seem to do makes any difference.

Is there a setting I have to make? Or will this not work with what I want it to do?

Disclaimer, I have never used a scope a day in my life I have only gone by videos I’ve watched on various ham sites

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 30
Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic

I made this Rf sampler about a year ago when I was going to buy a scope but never used it. I think I got the tutorial off of this site. The thing you see on the top I was trying to find a way to lower a 100 kHz tone down to a 1 kHz tone

The model is VC-6020

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 28
Looks like it might be a problem with the scope, you should be able to get a "straight line" trace, I'd check sweep time delay and trigger settings.

I made a sampler pickup out of a coax T. Works great. T has 2 females, opposing each other, and 1 Male. Un screw the Male appendage and cut it off, flush, with the insulator. File a screw driver slot in the end so you can screw it in, plus it's now udjustable.

I guess you didn't get a set of scope probes either - eh?
If so; then hook the scope probe to a speaker on a radio connected to an antenna and test it for an audio waveform.

I don't like your RF sampler.
Looks pretty leaky . . .

Also, watch a few YouTube viddys on basic scope operation. Pretty fast way to get a clue of how to use one. There are LOTS of them, so it might help to watch a few. Get that out of the way.

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
It looks like you have channel one set to ground coupling. Since you want to look at an rf signal put it on AC. To look at voltage put it on DC.

It is hard to tell from your picture where all the controls are set to. With a dot in the middle of the screen looks like it is in X/Y mode but I see it is not. Also make sure the center knobs (calibrate) on the volts per division and timebase are in their locked positions. Remove the coax and insert a small wire into the center of the BNC and touch the calibrate port with the other end.

When rotating the "position" knobs does the dot move?

Hi Radio Tech thanks for the reply

I hooked the scope back up and tried what you said.

I made sure the center knob are in their locked position,, by turning it all the way to the right until it clicked, but on the time/division I am unsure of where the locked position might be.

The cursor does indeed move from left to right when I change the position knob . As far as I can tell, everything else works on the scope I just can’t get a line out of it .

I touched the center pin on the bnc to the calibrate port but it didn’t seem to do anything.

I am trying to take another picture more closer up with some better lighting to see if maybe there something I’m over looking.

Also edit, I’d like to add that the buttons on the top of the controls that say non store/normal/hold/single/plot seem to be stuck on the non store and they are unresponsive

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 16

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.