• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Oscilloscope help please

Try setting MODE to AUTO, SOURCE to LINE, and one of the trigger modes to vert.
Also select NON Store at the top row of 4 buttons.

I did exactly as you said Tallman, no change. But my question is, do I need to have this hooked up to something? Or should I just be getting the line anyway across the screen with the scope just powered on but not hooked to any piece of electronics?

Reminds me of the bad old days. We used what were then 'old' lab-grade scopes that had 40 or more tubes in them. Fan blade was about 8 inches in diameter. They had every triggering mode you ever thought of, and surprisingly few of those would get you a trace on the screen with no vertical input.

Now and again some young guy would offer his services, convinced that knowing the mods for a 148 made him a useful tech.

An easy way to separate a wannabee from the real thing was to spin every knob and flip every switch on one of these 'scopes. First "test" for this guy was "Okay, now make the screen light up. Show me a blank baseline".

If he passed, at least I knew he could use that tool. And if not, the interview remained blessedly short.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Maybe this 'scope really is broken. And maybe we still haven't supplied the correct "masonic handshake" to get a result from it.

I got a Tektronix that would go on and off, it’s been in the shop a loooong time. Power supply was suspect I believe but turned out that didn’t straighten out the issue either...so I wait.

I’ve since bought one to replace it with, for the meanwhile. Buying used equipment you never know what you’re gonna get, like life and a boxes of chocolates.

And/or the power supply section that runs it?

Failed horizontal-deflection amplifiers tend to just push the dot off the screen.

Not always, but more than once we've seen here.

Troubleshooting a mystery failure starts with verifying power-supply voltages. Analog scopes usually contain a handful of separate regulated voltages. Typically one of these will be critical to the vertical amplifier's calibration. Frequently that one tightly-regulated voltage is used as the reference for the others.

But this one is a bit newer than what I'm used to.

Reactions: Tallman

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.