• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

OVER 130% MODULATION!!!

Bump, I love this thread. I now have direct inject audio on my 858 Madison. The big clean audio is amazing. It will do 200% modulation without pinching the carrier, but I run it below 150% so as not to kick its butt too hard. I also have a Carl built 4 pill high drive that I will be running with it for lots of headroom.

Bump, I love this thread. I now have direct inject audio on my 858 Madison. The big clean audio is amazing. It will do 200% modulation without pinching the carrier, but I run it below 150% so as not to kick its butt too hard. I also have a Carl built 4 pill high drive that I will be running with it for lots of headroom.

But you still fade out before Wilmington? (smiley face).

What are you using to drive the audio into the radio? Those DI radios take quite alot of drive to achieve 100% modulation

What are you using to drive the audio into the radio? Those DI radios take quite alot of drive to achieve 100% modulation
I have a full compliment of rack gear going into it. There was a big learning curve with the compressor and equalizer. The modulation transformer can only take so much I guess. I will get a picture of it when I get home.

I have a DI grant that I use occasionally... Any one of the "CRL processor" have more than enough audio to drive it to 100% modulation which I seldom go over

Reactions: Shadetree Mechanic
What was once a mechanic that fixed cars under the shade of a tree,

Learned RF - started with one piece of equipment, gathering more, acquiring skills and wisdom along the way - assembled the pieces one part at a time - took the time to build the station up from the very simple QRP beginning onto a MONSTER station kicking tail - East and West, North to South ..

This is great stuff...

What was once a mechanic that fixed cars under the shade of a tree,

Learned RF - started with one piece of equipment, gathering more, acquiring skills and wisdom along the way - assembled the pieces one part at a time - took the time to build the station up from the very simple QRP beginning onto a MONSTER station kicking tail - East and West, North to South ..

This is great stuff...

The Diligent Reader
(he misses nothing)

I have a dynamic studio mic, going into a Behringer 502 mixer. Then into the Art tube EQ and into the Behringer MDX2600 with the compressor turned up to act as a limiter. The actual peak limiter is not used because it didn't sound that great. Then into the BBE282 Sonic Maximizer that helps to give warmth back that the limiter took out. For pile up busting, I crank up the 3k on the EQ. The modulation and peak power are set by the output level from the rack. This is the Madison that Loose Cannon did for me, he did a fantastic job.

IMG_20210310_053949720.jpg

IMG_20210310_055315671.jpg

Last edited:
It seems to me in your photo of your compressor.. You have it set to high.. Try a 3:1 ratio

It seems to me in your photo of your compressor.. You have it set to high.. Try a 3:1 ratio
Yes, it is all the way up to infinity to function as a limiter. When I run it on my 955 through the mic jack, I run at 3:1 and the modulation limiter and stock audio is very forgiving compared to direct inject. I have started using my USB sdr without an antenna to record and play back my audio so I can tell what I am doing. The peak limiter in the Beringer sounds like junk so I leave it all the way down.

Reactions: tecnicoloco

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • dxBot:
    Tucker442 has left the room.
  • @ BJ radionut:
    LIVE 10:00 AM EST :cool:
  • @ Charles Edwards:
    I'm looking for factory settings 1 through 59 for a AT 5555 n2 or AT500 M2 I only wrote down half the values feel like a idiot I need help will be appreciated