• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 300a amplifier

The caps look brand new ,not the 3 amp power transistors they look original.i can change them all and try again. Is there a number for the teflon coax? I have the other stuff that comes in the recap kit on ebay. Except the 120uh 450v volt cap the wise guy on ebay tried to RIP me it said ten quantity he sent one now he said oh sorry on the way now.I'm stuck no parts to play now.

I used the crappy avanti foam wire .I found some tandy wire with the hard plastic. That avanti wire can be stripped with your fingernails.

Thank you nomad. I thought it would be ok on inlet side. Like a fuse able link overdrive the amp maybe fry the wire before the amp .wire was rated at 55 watts 10 times what circuit requires.of course this is a a guess because I have no training or formal education past high school. I do want to learn! I built rifles from parts kits. Ak 47 first reciever was made from a two inch fence post it was ugly,but it functioned the cost of parts kits exceeds the cost of a new rifle. Time to find a new hobby. Built some nice rifles compared to the first one.

I agree with nomad. The 178 should be adequate for the input side. If you already have some on hand use it. I'm just an overkill kind of guy.

Reactions: Tokin
I agree with nomad. The 178 should be adequate for the input side. If you already have some on hand use it. I'm just an overkill kind of guy.
Not on hand ,but I jumped the gun and ordered it. I have the plastic core 20awg for the high side, or should I get the 316 stuff not in a hurry just right.

Not on hand ,but I jumped the gun and ordered it. I have the plastic core 20awg for the high side, or should I get the 316 stuff not in a hurry just right.

Not sure what you mean by the high side because I'm not that familiar with your amp. Just be sure the stuff you use is rated for more than the power you're going to put through it. If in doubt use something bigger.

"High side" on a 300A refers to the "High/Low" switch on the front.

When Low is selected, the radio's drive power bypasses the two driver tubes altogether. The radio drives the four final tubes directly. You can remove the two driver tubes entirely and it will still work on Low side.

High side feeds the radio into the two driver tubes, and they feed into the four final tubes. Takes all six for High side.

The coax we're discussing runs from the High/Low switch to the input of the four final tubes. It's routed near the sockets of the final tubes, and radiated heat from them softens the polyethylene insulation inside the coax. Eventually the center wire migrates through the softened plastic and shorts to the ground braid of the coax. Making the replacement coax heat resistant is just cheap insurance against repeating the problem later.

Reactions: 543_Dallas
"High side" on a 300A refers to the "High/Low" switch on the front.

When Low is selected, the radio's drive power bypasses the two driver tubes altogether. The radio drives the four final tubes directly. You can remove the two driver tubes entirely and it will still work on Low side.

High side feeds the radio into the two driver tubes, and they feed into the four final tubes. Takes all six for High side.

The coax we're discussing runs from the High/Low switch to the input of the four final tubes. It's routed near the sockets of the final tubes, and radiated heat from them softens the polyethylene insulation inside the coax. Eventually the center wire migrates through the softened plastic and shorts to the ground braid of the coax. Making the replacement coax heat resistant is just cheap insurance against repeating the problem later.

Thanks for the clarification. I wasn't sure and didn't want to mislead him. I though he might have been replacing coax from the output of the final tubes...if there is any. I've never had the lid off of a 300a.

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • @ Wildcat27:
    Hello I have a old school 2950 receives great on all modes and transmits great on AM but no transmit on SSB. Does anyone have any idea?
  • @ ButtFuzz:
    Good evening from Sunny Salem! What’s shaking?
  • dxBot:
    63Sprint has left the room.
  • dxBot:
    kennyjames 0151 has left the room.