• You can now help support WorldwideDX when you shop on Amazon at no additional cost to you! Simply follow this Shop on Amazon link first and a portion of any purchase is sent to WorldwideDX to help with site costs.

Palomar 450 fet linear amp ???

If your SWR is good barefoot and over a 2.5 with 300 watts into a Wilson, you can be sure the amplifier is the issue. Those ERF7530 transistors are the bottom of the line for RF amps at this frequency and power level. Lets be clear, you can't buy a lower quality part for this application. No other manufacturer has ever tried to market a 75 watt, 30 MHz. transistor RF transistor in a audio or switching transistor package like this before because they knew the only market that would even consider going this low would be CB.

The builders of these amps don't believe a single thing they tell their buyer either. The proof that they are well aware they're selling you junk is specifying the use of an abnormally long patch cord between the oscillator (amp) and your radio. Good RF design always places the exciter as closer to the power amp as possible. The long coax introduces reactance to cover up the fact their amp is almost completely unstable while attempting to tame the self oscillations cheap transistors so easily generate at this frequency.

If we keep buying this junk and accepting the fact that we can't get a good SWR without knowing why, the process will continue. They get to charge you the same price for a "300 watt" amp but the transistors cost 10 times less then good ones designed for the job. To me these MOSFET amps are just as bad as the guys that tried to sell linears with the 2SC1307 CB final in them back in the 1980's. It makes no sense to build an amp with a transistor that can really only provide you with about 6 db of useable gain. They claim 10 db but 100 watts in with 300 out is under 6.

An ERF7530 is only rated at 20 watts carrier and can't even modulate that to 100% without going over it's rated specs. You have to run four of them on AM at 75 watts carrier and 300 watts peak just to stay in specs that are beyond the capabilities of the package they stuff it in anyhow. Some people have luck with these amps while many have oscillation problems that disguise themselves as antenna SWR problems.

The people selling the defective amps will always say the SWR problem is your antenna or coax when it almost never is. Those that have a variable power with a wide range can usually prove this to themselves. For example, if you can set your radio to make a 20 watt carrier and have a good SWR, then turn the amp on and reset the variable for the same 20 watts out of the amp with a bad SWR, no one can tell you it's the extra power and you'll know the amp is the problem using no expensive test equipment.

It doesn't bring me pleasure to have to reveal the inferior quality here. I'd much rather be able to tell you this is a reliable cost effective option but to say they are temperamental would be putting it mildly. There is no headroom here because the manufacturer has already used it all in their specs to make the sale. Good for less than 20 watts average on AM is the bottom line or in this case the top of the line you can expect. Whenever you have the choice, ALWAYS avoid CB MOSFET's. Buy RF transistors made by a company that manufacturers thousands of transistors. Not a company that manufacturers a few rubber stamps to use on someone else's transistors when they find 2 or 3 that work in another application.

You beat me to it. I actually was going to respond to this thread tonight, and you said everything I was going to for the most part and perfectly. I was going to go into the coax jumper myth crap, faking out things for a lack of proper input impedance, the crap devices used, and the one thing I didn't see mentioned is that even on some of them using the bipolar transistors, they include a bias circuit, but have no negative feedback so the things would oscillate, and so what they did, rather than removing the circuit and ground the bases (class C) they left the circuit in, and grounded it out. Makes no sense. What this means is, that even though they have a bias circuit, they are actually operating close to class C.

I certainly agree that bipolar transistor amps can oscillate too. Palomar proved that decades ago. When a bipolar RF transistor with gold plated tabs oscillates in the amp, you know you're not blaming the transistor here and it's the circuit and or layout. Using a cheap FET in an audio / switching type package that has skinny, high inductance leads carrying low impedance RF to 30 MHz. always increases the potential for these oscillations to occur. In this case we have the active part itself contributing to the fault.

We could take the doped silicon wafer out of a Toshiba 2SC2290 and place that inside this TO-218 package and it would meet all of its original specifications. That is until we increased the operating frequency beyond about 15 MHz. Someplace in that frequency range we could notice the advantages of quality RF packages with wide gold plated tabs and low loss package materials that still provide worthwhile gain at their top design frequency.

With respect to the class C stuff, it's harder to get unstable garbage to work in a "sweet spot" when you add forward bias into the mix. They know this and when they can't get what they have for sale to work right, they bypass the bias. It takes a lot less inductance in the wrong spot or positive feedback at the input to start an oscillation when the transistors are biased on than when they are cutoff in class C. This is most noticeable on SSB where the drive signal often reaches zero yet the most unstable amps may show full output with a high SWR.

Last edited:
Reactions: Onelasttime
Exactly, once that small signal gain goes up, and bias is applied...fogeddabouttdet! What I don't understand, well I do, but a better way to put it is... "it doesn't make sense".. is..why leave the components on the board, like the wirewound resistor, and then the clamping diode, have it still routed to VCC through the relay, add the RF bypass caps, and everything else, BUT then disable it by shunting it to gnd?

Why not either fix the problem, add some negative feedback, and stablize it up so that it would work. Granted, it STILL would not be ideal.

But no! Instead they leave all the parts there and dsable it. At least change the design, and remove the parts. Then you save a few bucks making the thing.

My point is, they obviously have no idea what they are doing.

To those that see the parts for the bias circuit have been installed and bypassed, it makes no sense. Many people see those bias parts on the board and never spot the DC ground that bypasses them all. They are convinced they just bought a class AB1 amp because the seller said so. One manufacturer actually put a AB1 sticker on a transistor amp which begs the question how did they determine the direction of grid current?

Reactions: Onelasttime
I got the Palomar at a good price so that's why I bought it to begin with. But I figured from the get go that it was of lesser quality. What amp would you guys recommend for around 400-600 watts ? Somethin good

Well I got my SWR tuned down to 1.2 with Palomar. Just had to trim a little off of the bottom of the antenna (which I was trying to avoid) but it's working perfect now. I'd still like to have something a little bigger though. Those X-Force amps sound nice! I'll have to save my change for a while to get me one of them lol. Anyhow thanks for the help and info!!

I have one of the new 450FET LD, been using it in the mobile for a few months now and for how bad these amps are supposed to be, mine actually works very well,, I have listened to it transmit on other radios and did some recordings from the base and it sounds great on ssb, no chopping,clipping, distortion like you would think after reading all these bad posts about it. And the pre-amp works!,, were mine is located in the mobile I needed about a 5-6' jumper anyways and the input swr to the amp is 1.3:1 or less. its putting out about 300w PEP. it does get hot, you will want a fan on it.

maybe the key is to not drive it hard and have a nice clean signal going into it.

Mine don't even get hot. Just warm. And it's doin around 300 watts also. So far so good. I live in Kentucky and I've made several contacts to California on AM and got very good reports from them. So far I'm happy with it.

Reactions: 1 person

dxChat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.